Own Salomon RS Carbon, lusting for Atomic Race Carbon Skates

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Cloxxki
World Cup

Own Salomon RS Carbon, lusting for Atomic Race Carbon Skates

Postby Cloxxki » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:22 am

Hi all,

So, these Salomon RS Carbons are just awesome. I could only imagine them being nicer when allowing a tighter fit around my shin, a thicker strap to distribute the tension. Otherwise, they exceed all expectations.
As an utter newbie, only the fourth consecutive ski day gave me the first foot/ankle aches. And I did crash a lot and hard.

Then next season, Atomic launches their new boots. Supposedly light, but not to be found anywhere.

Now here comes the catch : Atomic skis are very nicely price here in Europe, and I jumped on screaming deals on the Race Skate and Worldcup Skate sets. Delighted to learn that Atomic is not updating the WC's for 2008 :-)
I'm as much into fashion as is the Yeti himself, but these boots would of course match my skis sooo nicely...

Anyone know if the Race Carbon Skates would be worth it? They'd cost €199 (MSRP €250), I paid €179 for the RS Carbons early last season.

I totally don't need new boots, but if they're better in any way, I can justify them for the color mach properties. Oh, if they're more stable for rollerskiing, that'd be a plus too, can do it on any boots right now.

Thanks for your thoughts!

J (heading to Switzerland this weekend, hopefully there will be trails open in the Zürich area where I'll be staying most of the time)

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:38 am

I don't know, but it seems that boot manufacturers use the same parts and put different graphics on them. Part of XC skiing is the ever changing technology. The problem is getting nice and settled into a boot and then realizing three years later that you can't buy the same boot because they've changed binding systems. :D It's worse than running shoes I tellya.

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:27 pm

In the mean time, storing my stuff pending a removal, I seem to have misplaced my RS Carbons. Going to Switzerland with Active Pilots. Not as nice, more like inhouse footwear.
I heard rumors on low prices in Sw, hope I stumble on some Atomics :-)

Coming from mountainbikes and being a tech weenie, I can live with the ida that Pilot will be off the market by the time I've wrecked these skis on a thin local snow cover.

Boot and ski makers alike seem to be afraid to differ. So much room for big improvements, but they're going forward in little mouse steps.

That Atomic strap looks the same as Salomons. It'll bite in my shin if I adjust the (also thin!) laces as tight as I want them.

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:19 pm

"Misplaced" is a good word, yeah. :) Good one! :D

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”