My insight for Salomon RS Carbon vs S-Lab Carbon

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Cloxxki
World Cup

My insight for Salomon RS Carbon vs S-Lab Carbon

Postby Cloxxki » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:58 am

I own Active Pilots and RS Carbons, both size 12.5, fit doesn't get any better than tha.
The past 4 days, I ran my AP's for the first time on snow. I bought them for roller training, but couldn't get any stroke done with them, too instable for me.
I managed to misplace the RS Carbons in my recent removal, but did rent an identical pair on day 3.
Day 4, I go my hans on some S-Labs. They had many dozens of pairs, but nne in 12.5. I tried the 13s and to my surprise, fit seemed the same as my own 12.5's.

The S-Labs have a taller inner shoe, which is harder o get into, although there is an additional loop to hold on to. 2 loops to pull on the shoes, not too complicated, and could likely be done with thick gloves on.
Other than this difference, and the slightly cooler esthetics, I could not really point out what makes for the price difference with the RS Carbon. Was there a slight bit more stability?
I hurt my left ankle already on the first day, a simple sip on an uphill must have strained it somehow. So, after one or two hours on snow, I always received a good suffering, killing my technique game.
Despite pain, on the last day, running the S-Labs, I did get my best skiing done ever. But hard to attribute this to the S-Labs alone.

The rental shop did say the S-Labs are supposed to run narrower, but the larger size didn't seem to make it too long for me.

When shopping for new Pilot boos, I would look at the price difference between RSC and S-Labs. This varies from source to source.
If he difference is like 30 or so Dollars/Euro's, the S-Labs may be worth it.

Everywhere around me, responses to the RSC's were are lauding as my own. My lady friend couldn't help herself, and got a pair of her own.

Pressure points on ankles do happen with both boot models. A hair dryer job and 10 mins of standing around did the job for my friend.

Hope any of this helps,

Happy trails,

J

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:35 am

If the S-Lab fits, I would go with them simply because of the one piece outer sole.

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:48 pm

I have owned the RS Carbons, and now own the S-Labs. Funny thing is I haven't skied in either :wink: I got the RS Carbons on a warranty claim for some defective Carbon Pros (which I didn't like anyways. Too narrow, and they hurt my feet)

I decided to get the S-Labs because I like they way they felt. A much more form-fitting, glove like feel compared to the RS Carbons. The RS Carbons weren't bad by any means, but the S-Labs were just that extra step up in fit for me. I think the RS Carbons have too much padding, which just doesn't feel right for me. Probably comfy and warm though! I got my S-Labs for $319.99 USD at the Hoigaards (Minneapolis Area) tent sale this fall.

The S-Labs reminded me of my old 9.1 RS Skate boots (Yellow & Red). To this day the 9.1 RS is the best fitting piece of footwear I have ever owned! Once the S-Labs are broken-in, I think they might rival them.

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:02 am

Now that I've skied with 3 different Salomon shoes in a 4-day period, even switching during the day (S-Labs to Active Pilot), I realize that for snow, really even a soft "enthusiast's" shoe I got for €90 does the job just fine. I may have to get closer to my final technique level before I can truly find a use for the nicer boots. That doesn't mean I don't favor those, but at least the difference is small.
This again tells me how affordable this sport really is. And I can even get away with wearing my fall cycling kit, minus the chamois.

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:01 pm

Another thing too is your boots feel totally different on hard icy trails.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”