New Salomon Skin RS Classic Skis

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

E365
xcskiforum 40K

New Salomon Skin RS Classic Skis

Postby E365 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:49 pm

WebSkis just posted a picture of new Salomon "Skin RS" classic skis. Some sort of Zero ski. Can't tell if it's a removable grip section like the Atomic Skintecs, or just a new Zero ski. Anyone know anything about these?

https://www.facebook.com/webskis/posts/ ... 01001689:0

nxski
World Cup

Re: New Salomon Skin RS Classic Skis

Postby nxski » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:10 pm

E365 wrote:WebSkis just posted a picture of new Salomon "Skin RS" classic skis. Some sort of Zero ski. Can't tell if it's a removable grip section like the Atomic Skintecs, or just a new Zero ski. Anyone know anything about these?

https://www.facebook.com/webskis/posts/ ... 01001689:0

It's almost identical to the Skintec, but instead of a clip and magnets to hold the inserts in, they use a heat sensitive glue.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Kim M
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Kim M » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:15 am

We (my son and I) were very fortunate to have the opportunity to demo three pairs of skin skis for the past month or so. We tested them on very cold, icy manmade snow, cold natural snow, and recently, very warm spring snow. We tested them both in Alberta and Newfoundland. All three pairs were Atomics: two sport pairs and one pair of Skintecs.

We don't own fishscales, but have skied on them enough to be familiar with how they "feel", including performance Fischer crowns (which are dramatically nicer than entry level waxless skis.) My son also owns and races on zeros.

It would be great to test skin skis over an entire season to really get an idea of their capabilities, but given the experience we've had on them so far, here's what I would say:

They are designed as a grab and go training ski, not a race ski. That means they can't compare to zeros for performance/speed, but like someone else mentioned, skin skis will work in a much wider range of conditions than zeros. (They worked in all conditions we tested).

I think it's most fair to compare them to fishscales and in our experience they win hands down. They have a much, much better glide and I think the grip is probably better as well. In terms of performance, the one thing I found a little annoying is that they don't handle lateral movement very well. My son is more agile than me, so he didn't have any trouble, but for myself and a few other people who tested them, we found them difficult to handle if you wanted to step turn a corner. The mohair is great for either gliding forward, or gripping backwards, but doesn't handle sideways movement very well.

The one thing I was really hoping was to test them in fresh snow at near zero degrees, when icing can be such a problem. But, unfortunately, that didn't happen. Zeros, wax and fishscales can all ice in those conditions and I suspect skin skis might as well.

Overall, I really loved the skin skis and will probably add a pair to my collection next year. I'd use them for difficult to wax days (fresh snow, near zero), ungroomed snow, days when the snow is likely to be highly variable, and as a grab and go coaching ski, for when I have to be on snow, but won't be doing enough actual skiing to warrant cleaning and waxing my regular skis.

As for the skintec option of switching out the grips. I didn't find that necessary and would opt for the lightest ski I could find.

Oh yeah, last thing...I worried the glide wax scrapings would gum up the mohair so I put a couple of strips of painter's tape across the front of the skin when glide waxing. That seemed to work well.

Kim
http://crosscountryskitechnique.com

Jon44
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Jon44 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:25 am

Kim M wrote:All three pairs were Atomics: two sport pairs and one pair of Skintecs.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you clarify the above quote? "Skintec" skis have been out for a few years now (by Atomic) and to my knowledge there is just one model with a replaceable climbing skin inserts. Salomon is coming out next season with a ski using the same basic technology, but, according to guy at Webskis, much lighter. So, not sure what you're referring to by "sport" pairs? (But, Sounds like your adding to reviews of Atomic Skintec's, not Salmon's new skis)

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:46 am

Atomic will have the exact same ski technology next year that you are referring to with Salomon. They will have the magnetic version as well as the adhesive version. They are owned by the same company think Dodge and Chrysler not exactly the same...but similar

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:12 am

Blah wrote:Atomic will have the exact same ski technology next year that you are referring to with Salomon. They will have the magnetic version as well as the adhesive version.

That's interesting to hear. We aren't being offered an adhesive version from Atomic, only from Salomon. We have a pair of Salomon's as well as two pairs of Atomic's top skin skis in store right now and the Salomon's are quite a bit lighter. I'm not a huge fan of the densolite core though, I wish they had an SLAB version, but they were still quite nice to ski on. The grip was lacking at times, because we had very chopped up snow. Next year we'll have a rental fleet of the Salomon's, so hopefully they are a hit.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:41 am

This was told to me by the Atomic guys. I didn't actually see the ski though.

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Raubie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Kim, enjoyed reading your review.

I follow Bob Truman's blog (in your snowy neck of the woods) and he's been posting notes about his new SkinTecs. I'm very familiar with skins and kicker skins, so it'll be interesting to see this option mature and improve (ie lower weight) on the next generation of Atomics and Salomons.

Kim M
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Kim M » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi Jon

I'm sorry for the late reply. I was on holiday and ignoring my computer.

By "sport" I just meant the heavier model. I don't know what the model name was, but I assume, because of the weight, it was "lower end" than the Skintecs. You could not swap out the skin/kick insert like you could with the Skintecs. I tend to use the terms "performance" and "sport", rather than "race" and "recreation" just because some people are intimidated or put off by the word "race".

And that's correct, I have not skied on Salmon's version. (But I'd love to!) As "Blah" said, they are owned by the same company, so presumably there's lots of shared technology.

Overall, I loved these skis and really hope to get a pair next season. I get really cranky when my kick wax ices up, so it's probably in everyone's best interests if I buy a pair of these skis...at least that's what I'll tell my family!

Kim
http://crosscountryskitechnique.com

Jon44
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Jon44 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:36 am

Hi Kim:

Thanks for the clarifications (and I admire your taking a break from electronics!).

It's good to know Atomic has a touring version--seems like that'd be a good ski to recommend to beginners. I'm also psyched to buy some Salomon Skin skis next year. Even though they're the same parent company now, I've always been a little happier with my Salomon versus my Atomic skis...

Jon

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:35 am

Thinking of the zero degree icing that is so likely on every type of ski thus far -- has anyone tried a HEATED ski base? ...Just get some electrics in there. Lithium batteries are lighter-weight, too! Basically, ski bases have been changed every which way to try to deal with this so-sensitive temperature point. If you could change the base temp in the kickzone by just a couple degrees it might make all the difference...
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:42 am

Zero racing skis at zero degrees do not ice up if they are treated with a fluor spray. The kick they provide in those conditions is excellent as well so I would say there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:48 am

How about icing above and below zero a few degrees? Maybe with mixed snow-type layers.

Are the zero skis plus fluoro spray the spot-on solution? I've never tried em. If they tolerant temp-wise in the ballpark of such conditions they sound great!
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

hegel
xcskiforum 30K

Postby hegel » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:53 pm

"are zero skis plus flouro the spot on solution?" Even with flouro spray my fischer zeros have iced on occasion. However, I've found that they have a fairly large temperature range in which they're usable: I've started in 24% snow and had them work fine, if the other conditions are right for them (that is, mixed temperature snows). They don't work in glazed track or ice. Skin Tecs do.

I demo'd the Atomic skin tecs and found that they worked in a very large temperature range. But I found them a bit grabby and not as light or nimble as my zeros. But part of this might have been a sizing issue. I know others who like the skin tecs quite bit.

In the Sierra the snow is often fairly warm, even in the morning. Zeros are my go to ski more often than not.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”