Fischer Carbonlite Skatings are in! + Q's

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Cloxxki
World Cup

Fischer Carbonlite Skatings are in! + Q's

Postby Cloxxki » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:14 pm

Got 187cm, Stiff, Cold base.

I tried them in 192cm recently in Switzerland, and they felt incredibly potent, despite having gotten them fitted quite a bit stiff for the conditions and probably my skills.
Unfortunately I could not get this auction in 192cm, but I took them anyway to pass the great deal onto some who'd fit them better. Decided to not pay €63 to have Pilot bindings mounted.

518+527g on my scale. This is including a thick layer of factory wax. New to me, all skis I'd seen so far were well brushed.

Anyone knwo what 187/N10 stands for? It's listed with the logo's on the skis. Perhaps a more specific stiffness or base spec?
And "A5 61" under the front tips.

Trying to flex them torsionally from tip to tip, they are quite a bit stiffer than other skate skis I tried this with. Also, from the tips towards the foot, they are quite low profile for longer than with other skis I skied. This definately inspires confidence when crossing skis to get a good skate glide path.

I thought it was a marketing myth, but also when skiing these, the lower swing weight is noticed. When moving the skis in the air, they "feel" shorter than they are.

Now to find them a good home, and not lose money on it.
How would I best describe the ideal new owner, size and ski style, based on the few facts known about this pair?

Thanks in advance,

J

zzzz
xcskiforum 20K

Postby zzzz » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:09 am

Can't answer everything, but:
187 is the length in centimeters (you probably knew that)
A5 is the code for the base material. It's for cold, dry, abrasive snow, probably not like you have in the Alps.
61 is probably the code for the construction of the ski.
N10: dunno. It's printed into the graphics right? It isn't the final flex number anyway.

I have two pairs of Fischer 195's and two pairs of Atomic 190s that are in the 549g to 557g bare weight range, so those weights don't seem that remarkable to me considering the price and hype. I remember reading good things about the classic carbonlites though that made them really tempting - except I don't need any more skis...

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:39 am

zzzz wrote:Can't answer everything, but:
187 is the length in centimeters (you probably knew that)
A5 is the code for the base material. It's for cold, dry, abrasive snow, probably not like you have in the Alps.
61 is probably the code for the construction of the ski.
N10: dunno. It's printed into the graphics right? It isn't the final flex number anyway.

I have two pairs of Fischer 195's and two pairs of Atomic 190s that are in the 549g to 557g bare weight range, so those weights don't seem that remarkable to me considering the price and hype. I remember reading good things about the classic carbonlites though that made them really tempting - except I don't need any more skis...

Thanks for clarifying!

The weight of course is not too special. My 192 Atomic WC are around 1090g with binding weight deducted.

The Carbonlites really do feel extraordinary like when sword-mastering them through the air. And it shows on the show, easy boot placement rather than ski aim.

In Davos I did see lots of Cold rentals, perhaps because it's at a mile alt. there, it may get colder in January. I forgot to bring my bathing suit, one day it would not have been to cool for that. Then, it was November.

I'll try to find these a good home in Scandinavia or the US, places where it gets cold.

slowerskier
xcskiforum 10K

Postby slowerskier » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:23 am

hey clox,

I was thinking about your comments about the swing weight and overall weight of the carbon lites.

There is a lot more to it than weight, although Fischer does make a big deal about the carbon content and weight. The way the ski flexes is really what it's all about. If the ski is a bit lighter so much the better. When you are at speed, your ski tips are more in front of you anyway, not really out to the side, so the light tip swing weight is of less importance. I have a hunch that the real magic of the carbonlites both CL & FS is in the performance as a function of the flex characteristics. It is "how" the ski flexes underfoot that gives it such value. For example, find a comparably flexed RSC skate ski, and test side by side. This will be the most revealing test, far beyond weight checking in the hand, which is always fun but yields limited useful info. Compare the RCS to the carbonlite and you should be able to see what is up with the carbonlite and what the carbon does for the ski.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Fischer has found that when people ski, they don't notice small changes in the overall weight of the ski, but they do notice if the tips and tails are a bit lighter. A while back, Fischer they made the tip smaller (and lighter) and with the Carbonlites, they worked hard on making them lighter again. I've heard the Carbons have a different type of construction than the previous skis, in an effort to make them lighter. Of course a good fitting RCS is still better than a poor fitting Carbonlite.

Jay

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”