Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Salomon to Fischer (boots)

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:44 am

Anyone see this:

http://www.fischersports.com/en/Nordic/ ... cher-boots

Salomon was the dominant boot and now I'm starting to wonder if Fischer is.

Jay

DMK
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Salomon to Fischer (boots)

Postby DMK » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:03 am

Last year I remember looking at a photo of a men's sprint race in the Boulder Sport catalog and thinking, 'almost all of those guys are on Fisher boots. Not sure if it's Fisher's deep pockets or the boots themselves that are causing athletes to switch.

Dave

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:35 pm

It's most definitely deep pockets. Fischer offers athletes much more money to be complete athletes by using boots and skis. There isa large inventive to do this. Madshus does this, rossi does this. This has nothing to do with boot quality and everything to do with money. That's not saying the boots are not good but athletes are almost always driven by dollar. Do yourself a favor and buy equipment bad on cost and what feels the best.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:44 pm

I think the take away is that nnn has overtaken sns as a binding system. The nis plate did this for them

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:10 am

I'm sure money and people (the support crew) have an influence, but the boot has to fit. Also, the money was there in the past, so I'm thinking the boots must be improving.

I have these boney narrow things at the end of my shins and when I tried Fischer and Rossi boots in the past (for a demo on NNN) I'd say yeah, no way. Each year I try on the Fischers they seem to fit better with each generation, even comfortable now. Last year I demo'ed Rossi boots (and skis) for a week, and they seemed to fit. A far cry from my memories of the past.

Also, as I see others ski, it seems Salomon doesn't have the strangle hold on the boot market they once did. So it seems others are catching up in fit, and the high cost of (at least top end) Salomon boots is getting people to try other brands. And yes, I'd say that if NNN is not the most popular binding, it's' close

Jay

DMK
xcskiforum 30K

Postby DMK » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:09 pm

I said this a few years ago but if I were a marketing person at Fisher or some other NNN boot maker I would offer a trade-in deal for SNS bindings if you bought new NNN boots. For me (and I am guessing many others) I've got 4 pair of skate skis and 3 classic skis that I would have to change over if I moved from SNS to NNN. At close to $100 for each pair, I am not ready to make the switch. Because of that I don't even want to look at NNN boots.

Dave

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:21 pm

For sure the boot has improved tremendously. They simply didn't have a world cup quality boot before that they do now. Same with Rossi and Madshus.

They definitely have more money to throw at athletes now though as the boot has had success. They have been offering very big deals to athletes to switch to being Fischer complete, this isn't from me this from the product managers and athletes here in the US.

Also NNN has surpassed SNS in total sales. Again, not me, these are numbers from Europe.

Another interesting fact/number...What company do you think does the largest overall nordic sales in the US? I would guess some would be surprised to find out it is Rossi and it has been for a long time.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:22 pm

DMK wrote:I said this a few years ago but if I were a marketing person at Fisher or some other NNN boot maker I would offer a trade-in deal for SNS bindings if you bought new NNN boots. For me (and I am guessing many others) I've got 4 pair of skate skis and 3 classic skis that I would have to change over if I moved from SNS to NNN. At close to $100 for each pair, I am not ready to make the switch. Because of that I don't even want to look at NNN boots.

Dave

They actually used to offer this through Rossi but NNN has become so popular they don't need to do this anymore. People are switching equipment over anyways.

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:53 am

MN Hoser wrote:I'm sure money and people (the support crew) have an influence, but the boot has to fit. Also, the money was there in the past, so I'm thinking the boots must be improving.
Jay

My understanding is at the top level many of the boots are custom made to the athletes foot. So, the off the shelf boot fit may not really matter. This has been evident specially with Salomon where for the last two years World Cup athletes have had a boot that was completely unavailable to the general public.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Right on Chris. I know for certain Liz Stephen has custom Rossi boots because she has an odd foot. I wonder what kind of custom things they are able to do with the new Fischer boots?

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”