Please help me… where to start! (Read clueless Newbie)

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

UserC
xcskiforum 10K

Please help me… where to start! (Read clueless Newbie)

Postby UserC » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:22 am

Hello Guys.

I'm new to the forum and XC skiing. I'm afraid I'm a newbie asking for equipment advice :roll:

I am an instructor of Alpine & Telemark skiing but am clueless about XC. I've done a bit of research online into equipment but could still really use some help picking out equipment. Obviously the best thing for the clueless to do is head to a shop for advice and buy there… however I really want to buy online from Salomon, purely because I get a discount with them. There is so much choice on the Salomon site I don't know where to start.

So, here is my info. I'm a pretty good Alpine Skier, average telemarker & I've been on Classic XC skis once :oops:
I want to Skate & Classic. I want skis that will give me stability whilst learning but I won't out grow too quickly. I'm 167cm & 50kg (female).

Can anyone suggest both a Salomon Classic & Skate ski that would suit my needs, and the right lengths? (As I know nothing maybe a waxless ski for classic would be best?).

Also should I get a combo boot if I want to do both skate and classic? Or do I need separate boots? I'd rather save cash and get one boot, but I don't want to get a combo boot if they are rubbish for both techniques.

And bindings…. ? :shock:

Thanks for any advice :heart:

Montana
World Cup

Re: Please help me… where to start! (Read clueless Newbie)

Postby Montana » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:08 am

Check with some cross country ski instructors in your area. If you are a certified instructor, or teach at an area with certified instructors they can provide some advice on how to get in touch with Nordic instructors.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

nxski
World Cup

Re: Please help me… where to start! (Read clueless Newbie)

Postby nxski » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:08 pm

[quote="UserC"]Can anyone suggest both a Salomon Classic & Skate ski that would suit my needs, and the right lengths? (As I know nothing maybe a waxless ski for classic would be best?).quote]

if you find a good shop they will be able to camber test skis for you and suggest your best options. It also comes down to how much you're willing to spend.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”