Fischer SLP Polysint: a sandpapery nowax?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Fischer SLP Polysint: a sandpapery nowax?

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:28 pm

OK, I just got a pair of NOS Fischer SLP Polysint's off of eBay. A guy is selling a bunch of them plus other types of 90's mid-range NOS skis.

The SLP Polysint is a kind of sandpapery nowax. The kick zone is fabricated like a puzzle piece inserted into the ski base.

I have no idea about them. Were they any good? If not, could I get a decent result if I just kickwaxed over the sandpaper? Seems like it would hold kickwax dandy.

-- JP
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Jon44
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Fischer SLP Polysint: a sandpapery nowax?

Postby Jon44 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:49 am

I had these and thought they worked well in same conditions "zero" skis work. You can use different grits of sandpaper to rough up the polysint material to get different levels of kick. You can kick wax over the insert material if you want, but then they're no different than a conventional ski that's been sandpapered.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Re: Fischer SLP Polysint: a sandpapery nowax?

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:58 am

I wonder if you can go back'n'forth. I sandpaper my classic kickzone anyway to grab the kickwax binder good. Seems like this Polysint zone would hold wax good, or Start Grip Tape. I wonder if one could clean the wax/tape off with cleaner then get the Polysint back to its "hairies" state. My tricky waxing seems to happen more at end of season. So maybe I could hardwax em during the first half when it's cold then clean em up for when conditions get tricky for the Zero-type skis. ...Or does touching them with wax/cleaner wreck em pretty much?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”