New member here looking for some binding mounting advice.

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

midlife
xcskiforum 10K

New member here looking for some binding mounting advice.

Postby midlife » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:33 am

Hello all. I am trying to get back onto skis after a 25+ year hiatus. My daughter has joined her hs ski team again this year and I'm hoping to spend some time on the trails with her. With this in mind I bought some classic skis (non NIS) from an online store and got some xcelerator plates for my old skate skis and the new classics. My issue is the balance point on the new classic skis - there is an inch difference between the two skis. I don't think this is proper and am surprised for a name brand and current model ski, but at this point returning them isn't an option. So my question is where to mount the binding plates? Do I split the difference? Mount so the tips will be down on both skis? I appreciate any constructive input. I don't want to spend any more $ on equipment until I get some time on snow under my belt. Thanks.

nxski
World Cup

Re: New member here looking for some binding mounting advice

Postby nxski » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:52 pm

midlife wrote:Hello all. I am trying to get back onto skis after a 25+ year hiatus. My daughter has joined her hs ski team again this year and I'm hoping to spend some time on the trails with her. With this in mind I bought some classic skis (non NIS) from an online store and got some xcelerator plates for my old skate skis and the new classics. My issue is the balance point on the new classic skis - there is an inch difference between the two skis. I don't think this is proper and am surprised for a name brand and current model ski, but at this point returning them isn't an option. So my question is where to mount the binding plates? Do I split the difference? Mount so the tips will be down on both skis? I appreciate any constructive input. I don't want to spend any more $ on equipment until I get some time on snow under my belt. Thanks.

Split the difference on those. Were you not able to get an R3 binding? What brand/model did you get? It's not out of the question for recreational skis, even from a good brand to be out by an inch between the skis. If they are a high quality ski and especially if they're waxable and you bought them online, I would get them camber tested to make sure they are correct for you. That is a large variation for a high caliber ski.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

midlife
xcskiforum 10K

Postby midlife » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks, nxski. They're Madshus Intrasonic - supposed to be an entry level race ski (so not high-caliber). I thought Madshus was supposed to be a decent brand but I'm beginning to wonder as this isn't the first try at an acceptable pair.

I wanted this type of ski as we'll be skiing on tracks. I went with the xcelerator NIS mounting plates as it will allow me to easily move bindings around, and other than the cost of the plates the binding cost was similar. If I find I can still ski and not have a heart attack I'll look for something better later on. I raced in college but that seems like eons ago - helping my daughter ski last year made me really miss being on skis. I did test with some paper standing on the skis and the camber seemed OK based on what I can remember (so I'm probably in trouble). Thanks again for your help.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:03 pm

midlife wrote:Thanks, nxski. They're Madshus Intrasonic - supposed to be an entry level race ski (so not high-caliber). I thought Madshus was supposed to be a decent brand but I'm beginning to wonder as this isn't the first try at an acceptable pair.

I wanted this type of ski as we'll be skiing on tracks. I went with the xcelerator NIS mounting plates as it will allow me to easily move bindings around, and other than the cost of the plates the binding cost was similar. If I find I can still ski and not have a heart attack I'll look for something better later on. I raced in college but that seems like eons ago - helping my daughter ski last year made me really miss being on skis. I did test with some paper standing on the skis and the camber seemed OK based on what I can remember (so I'm probably in trouble). Thanks again for your help.

Madshus makes great skis for their world cup athletes, but the quality is not quite as high on their lower end skis.

The reason I asked about the binding is that you have to put 8 holes in each ski instead of 5, which weakens the core and also makes the skis heavier. That being said, since it isn't a high end race ski, I wouldn't worry about that.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”