Exel Curve poles

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Cloxxki
World Cup

Exel Curve poles

Postby Cloxxki » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:10 pm

http://www.exelsports.com/app/product/view/-/id/364

I've been wanting poles grips that point inward for a more natural wrist angle. This seems to be meant differently, but I'm confused.

Who has the skinny?

steener
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Exel Curve poles

Postby steener » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:41 pm

I have been curious myself.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:25 am

Disclaimer: i sell another brand of poles.... i tried them out in West Yellowstone. They don't seem stiff when you are not moving and just applying force to the pole. They feel very stiff while skiing, not sure what that means? The swing weight felt heavy and I think this is because when you use a curved 160 cm pole it's more like 170 cm. I'm not certain what the benefit is supposed to be of having the curve?

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:38 am

Blah wrote:Disclaimer: i sell another brand of poles.... i tried them out in West Yellowstone. They don't seem stiff when you are not moving and just applying force to the pole. They feel very stiff while skiing, not sure what that means? The swing weight felt heavy and I think this is because when you use a curved 160 cm pole it's more like 170 cm. I'm not certain what the benefit is supposed to be of having the curve?

Well the grip seems to be at an angle relative to the line from grip to basket, so it will affect how the wrist is positioned and which and how muscles are used. But in which way is the question.

A curved pole will likely need to be built beefier apart from "longer", as a bent pole is easier to bend. The forces from grip to basket will always have an angle to bend the pole. If you press a straight pole straight down, in theory it will be like a sturdy tower with a heavy canon on top. The torque action of pull on the leash and pressure to the grip with the hand leverages the pole and bend it. A complex (heavy) grip could largely prevent it in my option.

All besides the point. What's the curve about? :-)
My new blog : 46weeks.blogspot.com

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:47 pm

Yoko used to make poles like this, but with a plastic sleeve in order to achieve the angle. The problem is that the shaft would twist in the sleeve and they would constantly need re-gluing (that sounds kind of dirty). I would imagine that Excel was fond of the concept, but was only recently able to create a similar pole with the angle built-in to the carbon fiber.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Cloxxki wrote:
Blah wrote:Disclaimer: i sell another brand of poles.... i tried them out in West Yellowstone. They don't seem stiff when you are not moving and just applying force to the pole. They feel very stiff while skiing, not sure what that means? The swing weight felt heavy and I think this is because when you use a curved 160 cm pole it's more like 170 cm. I'm not certain what the benefit is supposed to be of having the curve?

Well the grip seems to be at an angle relative to the line from grip to basket, so it will affect how the wrist is positioned and which and how muscles are used. But in which way is the question.

A curved pole will likely need to be built beefier apart from "longer", as a bent pole is easier to bend. The forces from grip to basket will always have an angle to bend the pole. If you press a straight pole straight down, in theory it will be like a sturdy tower with a heavy canon on top. The torque action of pull on the leash and pressure to the grip with the hand leverages the pole and bend it. A complex (heavy) grip could largely prevent it in my option.

All besides the point. What's the curve about? :-)

Actually the grip really wasn't at much of an angle. If you drew a line from the handle to the lower part of the shaft they basically line up. I wouldn't say it felt beefier than any other pole. They definitely flex when you put pressure down because, well, there is an angle built in...
I think it's good to design things that are out of the box. I have my doubts that they industry is going to move towards curved poles :-) It's like many other products that we sell it is a marketing story. Curved poles, triangle shafts, holes in ski tips...If they really made a product better everyone would be doing it...

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Could it be like an ice hockey slap shot? Compression which doesn't drive the pole in deeper, but returns energy later in the pole contact phase?

On the Leki site I do see the grip pointing at a spot 25-35cm behind the basket. Angle. If you draw from the basket out, obviously the grip is pretty muchwhere you expect it to be.

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:11 am

From an engineering perspective, I have not been able to find a good reason for the Excel design. If I wanted the handle at an angle I would have just extended the straight shaft further and put in one bend instead of two.

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:43 pm

Chris wrote:From an engineering perspective, I have not been able to find a good reason for the Excel design. If I wanted the handle at an angle I would have just extended the straight shaft further and put in one bend instead of two.

As an amateur engineer (with a hand in a bunch of sports item patents) I see reasoning to place the grip in the same location, even when the angle the main objective. For this a second bend is needed.
I could see a grip section that is like an angled T top, but porsible in issue both for strength and ergonomics. The T leg (main pole shaft) gets in the way.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:50 pm

To me, the pole sounds like BS. Simple is good and making it more complex smells of marketing. If anything, I think the grips (in general) have room for improvement.

Jay

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:04 pm

Cloxxki wrote:As an amateur engineer (with a hand in a bunch of sports item patents) I see reasoning to place the grip in the same location, even when the angle the main objective. For this a second bend is needed.

Your right. I didn't look at the picture close enough. I now see that the handle strap connection is pretty close to inline with the axis of the main part of the pole. Previously I had thought that they had it offset.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”