Is it possble to modify xc boots, "alipne boot style"?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

m2qItMot
xcskiforum 10K

Is it possble to modify xc boots, "alipne boot style"?

Postby m2qItMot » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Is it possible "boot-fit" a high end xc skate boot in a way similar to what is possible with alpine boots? Namely heating and stretching the plastic and/or grinding?

I am asking specifically about Salomon S-Lab Skate and the plastic molds around the heel.

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Is it possble to modify xc boots, "alipne boot style"?

Postby Chris » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm not sure about Salomons, but other high end boots can be adjusted with heat and pressure.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:25 am

Yes! The plastic can be modified on high end ski boots. There are alpine tools for this that work really well, I had it done on my boots last season. I would suggest marking the hot spot and going to a Alpine shop that does nordic and ask them to use a punch to push the aggravating spot out.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Keep in mind that the boots are not designed for this and it will void the warranty in many cases. They are made to be heat moulded, but not punched out since they don't use the hard plastic a downhill boot uses.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:25 pm

The times I have had my boots punched it has been by the Race and Brand Managers of that ski boot company. If you go to a shop that carries your brand of boot and knows how to punch them out I would feel completely comfortable doing it

m2qItMot
xcskiforum 10K

Postby m2qItMot » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:28 am

Thanks for all info!

nxski, when you say
They are made to be heat moulded ...
what exactly do you mean? How do I heat-mold Salomon Skate boots? Or whatever boots? Can you elaborate a bit?

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:12 am

The inner liner of most boots is heat moldable. It can make small changes in how the boot conforms to your foot but it's not going to take care of pressure spots. What you can do for a pressure spot is heat up the plastic in that area and then push it out with your thumb (this works ok sometimes) or go to a shop and they use a devise that has a ball at the end at presses the area out until it has cooled. It work wonders on problem areas and as I said earlier when I have had this done it has been done by the guys that work for these companies.
I seriously doubt they aren't going to warranty the boot if it has other problems. If you say that the area you punched is now a problem, well...However, what good is a boot that hurts your foot?

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”