SNS : Profil vs Pilot

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Loran
xcskiforum 20K

SNS : Profil vs Pilot

Postby Loran » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:46 am

Given the lack of snow in France, I'm on old skis, or rollerskis. Skating.
SNS Profil bindings are mounted on both.

I had kept SNS Profils on rollerskis because SNS Pilots added too much weigh on the rear and the rear wheel would drag (they are custom, short rollerskis).

As regard weight and handling, I'm just feeling good with the old skis.
Man, they feel light !
Someone said (was it here or on rec.skiing.nordic ?) that SNS Pilots solves problems that almost no-one is experiencing ("clap" skis)...

Also the Classic Pilot attempt was a disaster and something to laugh at from the beginning. So the "Profil" design is still there even at the World Cup level.)

So, I'm in the process to remove all Pilot and go back to Profil bindings. Same holes. Less rear weight. Resulting in a slight unbalance in favor of the tail, so to speak, staying naturally close to the shoe.

It's worth taking note that 95% of the WorldCup athletes are on NNN, which doesn't differ much from (recent) Profil bindings, doesn't they ?
(old SNS Profil don't fit with recent shoes. The axis is more backward under the shoes. The binding locker had shoulders that wouldn't allow the shoes to clip-in.)

Maybe the good choice would be to switch to NNN. Single axis shoes are much much easier cleaned from underneath packed snow which seem to always desperately stick between the axis. Yet the total weight of NNN bindings (binding + plate) is still heavier that a SNS Profil. I think.
So from a weight weenie point of view, and from the aging skater, raging against snow packed under the shoes, point of view the good old SNS Profil has a future that Salomon should consider. Instead of desperately trying to lightnen the Pilot.

They already gave up on the "Energizer" on the Carbon Skate LAB (very expensive and very unavailable) shoes. So everything is possible. Let's hope it won't be a very expensive and very unavailable carbon PROFIL LAB....

nxski
World Cup

Re: SNS : Profil vs Pilot

Postby nxski » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:20 pm

I've always preferred pilot for roller-skiing since it snaps the ski to your foot better that profil. Where does the information about 95% of world cup skiers being on NNN come from?
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:50 am

nxski wrote:I've always preferred pilot for roller-skiing since it snaps the ski to your foot better that profil. Where does the information about 95% of world cup skiers being on NNN come from?

My experience with Pilot and rollerskis is that the pilot bindings wear out over time which leads to them vibrating open. The ski then does not stay attached to the boot and causes an often painful fall. I've never used Profil on rollerskis, so I don't know how they compare. I haven't had this problem with NNN R3 bindings.

Loran
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Loran » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:27 am

Chris wrote:My experience with Pilot and rollerskis is that the pilot bindings wear out over time which leads to them vibrating open.

Yes, that's another problem Pilots are suffering from. More recent Pilots seems more robust though.

As for the 95%, this my personal count/guess while watching World Cup events; FIS and IBU. OK it could be 90% or 85%. Yet, over the top 20 it's pretty hard to count more than a couple of people wearing Salomon/Atomic shoes. Anyway, it's enough to demonstrate that single axis bindings are doing the job. No need for that heavy and complex stuff.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:52 pm

Once you get some play in the metal lever, it's time to replace the bindings. if you keep on-top of that, you won't have the boots popping out.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:09 pm

I still have profil on my roller ski's and my classic snow ski's. (pilot on skate snow ski's). The biggest problem you will have is finding good profil boots because most of them are worn out. I can go just as fast on profil as pilot.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”