Salomon pole thumb rest

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

TheProdigalCyclist
xcskiforum 10K

Salomon pole thumb rest

Postby TheProdigalCyclist » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi, first post here. This week will hopefully be my first time on skis in over 20 years! I used to race in the '80s until the southern Wisconsin started to get inconsistent.
I just picked up a pair of Salomon poles that have the thumb rest on the grip. I'm wondering how many people actually use that thumb rest (for skating), since I haven't been able to see how it would even be comfortable.

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Salomon pole thumb rest

Postby Chris » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:51 am

TheProdigalCyclist wrote:Hi, first post here. This week will hopefully be my first time on skis in over 20 years! I used to race in the '80s until the southern Wisconsin started to get inconsistent.
I just picked up a pair of Salomon poles that have the thumb rest on the grip. I'm wondering how many people actually use that thumb rest (for skating), since I haven't been able to see how it would even be comfortable.

Don't know an exact answer, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone racing with the thumb part still on the pole.

TheProdigalCyclist
xcskiforum 10K

Postby TheProdigalCyclist » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:07 am

Chris wrote:
TheProdigalCyclist wrote:Hi, first post here. This week will hopefully be my first time on skis in over 20 years! I used to race in the '80s until the southern Wisconsin started to get inconsistent.

Don't know an exact answer, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone racing with the thumb part still on the pole.

Thanks. Do any other pole manufacturers use such a thing?

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:53 am

20+ years ago exel poles did. I don't know of anyone doing it anymore.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:53 pm

It's an old style that some like, but all of the Salomon poles I've seen have it as a removable feature and most people will remove it.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

TheProdigalCyclist
xcskiforum 10K

Postby TheProdigalCyclist » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:13 am

Thanks, guys. I've been out a few times now, and it seems to work best for me without the rest.
Finally getting some snow in SE Wisconsin!

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”