New Skis

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Swany24
xcskiforum 10K

New Skis

Postby Swany24 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:42 am

I am new to xc skiing and am a former hockey player I want to be able to skate ski as well as classic ski because not all of the trails around me are groomed for skating. I am wondering if there is a ski that would allow me to do both and if so what ski would be the best?

Montana
World Cup

Re: New Skis

Postby Montana » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:10 pm

There may be some "combi" skis available but I would avoid them. Asking a ski to do both techniques compromises its ability to do either well. Think about which technique you will be using the most and focus on getting a good ski for that use. Later on pick up skis for the alternate technique.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Swany24
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Swany24 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up. What "combi" boots?

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:12 am

Swany24 wrote:Thanks for the heads up. What "combi" boots?

Sorry to be vague here but get the boots that fit. Since you have no gear at present you are not tied in to a specific boot/binding system. Therefore it is best to check out the major brands and determine which boot fits best and go with it.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:30 pm

I would likely go with high quality combi (also known as pursuit) boots in your situation. Many beginners prefer them to classic boots for classic skiing, and they work fine for skating.

If you don't want to buy two pair of skis, and aren't sure which technique you would prefer. I would recommend classic skis. It is possible to skate on classic skis. After all, skating came into existence before there were skate skis. It won't be as fast as using skate skis for skating, but it is possible. I also think learning how to classic ski properly before skating leads to more long term success.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”