Vintage Ski Identifications

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

IcySmooth52
xcskiforum 10K

Vintage Ski Identifications

Postby IcySmooth52 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:45 pm

1st of all; Hi to all! I'm new to the forum.

I can't find any information on a particular few skis I've accumulated through Craigslist and such, but I think they could be of particular value. How about a thread on helping identify skis?

Let's roll now! :drinkers:
Last edited by IcySmooth52 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IcySmooth52
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Vintage Ski Identification

Postby IcySmooth52 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:04 pm

So the first pair I'm curious about are the 'Golden Team Top Slider'. They obviously look like a mid-late 80's era product with the font style and color choices. They're waxless, but with a more advanced pattern as shown in one of the pictures, 45 in width, and have quite a stiff camber! The side says "Team Plenk", and I have no idea what that is (nor does Google). Any thoughts?
Attachments
Golden Team Top Slider (2).JPG
Crown close-up
Golden Team Top Slider (2).JPG (130.95 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
GT Top 1.png
GT Top 1.png (144.37 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:34 pm

That would be a single camber ski with an extruded base. What information were you looking for on them?

Do you have a picture of where it says "team plenk?" Maybe that's the name of the ski?
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:12 pm

IcySmooth52 wrote:1st of all; Hi to all! I'm new to the forum.

I can't find any information on a particular few skis I've accumulated through Craigslist and such, but I think they could be of particular value. How about a thread on helping identify skis?

Let's roll now! :drinkers:

I'm no expert in vintage ski gear, but I suspect all or almost all skis with fish scales on the bottom are not "of particular value."

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Postby jt10000 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:10 pm

IcySmooth52 wrote:So the first pair I'm curious about are the 'Golden Team Top Slider'. They obviously look like a mid-late 80's era product with the font style and color choices. They're waxless, but with a more advanced pattern as shown in one of the pictures, 45 in width, and have quite a stiff camber! The side says "Team Plenk", and I have no idea what that is (nor does Google). Any thoughts?

There was a Plenk Ski company in Vermont started in the late 1980s - found via Google:
http://vermontcompany.us/plenk-ski-comp ... 37.company
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

IcySmooth52
xcskiforum 10K

Postby IcySmooth52 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Chris wrote:I'm no expert in vintage ski gear, but I suspect all or almost all skis with fish scales on the bottom are not "of particular value."

No, I'm not trying to become rich by eBay. :axe:

jt10000 wrote:
IcySmooth52 wrote:There was a Plenk Ski company in Vermont started in the late 1980s - found via Google:
http://vermontcompany.us/plenk-ski-comp ... 37.company

That must be the maker. I'll look into this refrence to see if I can find any catalogues or such to get information on construction and how far up the line is was on their selection.

Now, here's one that I think could be worth sale. (But I don't know if I'll want to sell them) Lampinen "L" skis. They're all wood, pretty narrow (56mm), and obviously something of a racer in construction. The details along the top are all just Ls.
Attachments
Lampinen 'L Ski'.JPG
Lampinen 'L Ski'.JPG (179.7 KiB) Viewed 2565 times

IcySmooth52
xcskiforum 10K

Postby IcySmooth52 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:55 am

No possible knowledge on this one? :-(

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:20 pm

For either ski, I would say you could ask $29 for them (I would ask $79 with a binding at our store). Unfortunately, neither is going to be worth too much given their age.

Nick Spurling

IcySmooth52
xcskiforum 10K

Postby IcySmooth52 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:22 am

nxski wrote:For either ski, I would say you could ask $29 for them (I would ask $79 with a binding at our store). Unfortunately, neither is going to be worth too much given their age.

:lol: Everyone assumes I'm looking for a value for sale!?!? I'm just looking for an identification on what they are from who(maker) and when. Not an appraisal.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:15 pm

IcySmooth52 wrote:
nxski wrote:For either ski, I would say you could ask $29 for them (I would ask $79 with a binding at our store). Unfortunately, neither is going to be worth too much given their age.

:lol: Everyone assumes I'm looking for a value for sale!?!? I'm just looking for an identification on what they are from who(maker) and when. Not an appraisal.

To what end?

Nick Spurling

IcySmooth52
xcskiforum 10K

Postby IcySmooth52 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:09 pm

nxski wrote:
IcySmooth52 wrote:

To what end?

"I'm just looking for an identification on what they are from who(maker) and when"

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”