Blizzard CHEMICAL skis: great in slushy marathon!

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Blizzard CHEMICAL skis: great in slushy marathon!

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:28 pm

I bought a cheap pair of NOS Blizzard Chemicals. I tried them last nite and they seemed fine. Then I went to the race this morning and tested them on the icy slush conditions and they seemed fine still so I skied with them. 35F for a 3.5 hr classic marathon called the Potto Raid on a very hilly trail in SE Michigan. We had a blast. My skis worked great all day. Red Swix mighta been OK, too, except there were many leaves in the trail. Crowns were the other skis of choice and I hated hearing them behind me. I don't like that buzzing sound. Thankfully I didn't have to hear it all that often.

Oddly, not many around here are interested in skiing an extremely scenic, technical, hilly, really famous regional trail. Apparently they'd rather do a lot of doublepoling. So 16 of us started. The old man beat the kids. We had a nice parking lot party afterward. Cool local microbrew sponsor helped the cause. ...One of the rare beer-sponsored races around our region!
Last edited by JeffOYB on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Blizzard CHEMICAL skis: great in slushy marathon!

Postby jt10000 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:31 pm

JeffOYB wrote:Oddly, not many around here are interested in skiing a technical, hilly, really famous, extremely scenic mtbike trail.
Go figure.
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Re: Blizzard CHEMICAL skis: great in slushy marathon!

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:47 am

Yeah, those who've skied it just CAN'T figure why it's rejected by those who've never tried it.

If people try it and don't like it, hey, that's gonna happen.

Even ski experts just don't understand that modern ski gear makes real trails totally great for skiing.

A cuffed boot and midlength ski turns most any trail into nordic heaven.

The racers have blinders that put "rec skis" beneath contempt. So if a trail isn't perfect for a race ski they won't touch it.

...But people who HAVE skied this trail often call it their fave, their best ski experience, etc.

And, so far, the folks who reject the idea totally have never even tried it.

Of course those of us who are fans would hope that newbs would try it in good conditions and really give it a chance, do hills a few times to see if they can get a feel for it. It would also be easy to just give up if a first try wasn't conducive, etc.

So there's a weird disconnect. It's a case where the experts are being left behind due to blindspots in their education. I think it's common nowadays with professionalization of hobbies and specialization. It's hard to believe that people in a sport won't even test out something new that is also in their sport, but it happens. The huge investment in both cash and ego into a specialty can cause this: they own 8 pairs of elite race skis and so "can't afford" a pair of trail skis.

Skaters for awhile refused to give respect to classic. Now it's a happy family mostly, tho many still specialize. But to add trail-classic into the mix is, at this point, beyond the pale.

But there are so many cool factors in favor of this particular trail that we fans all think that more would be lured to at least give it a try. Like, just the one factor of it being by far the prettiest most scenic regional trail. But, no, the experts stick to the golf course.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”