massive sole delamination. What glue to fix?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

cratermaker
xcskiforum 10K

massive sole delamination. What glue to fix?

Postby cratermaker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:49 pm

A friend has just brought me one of her skis to fix. The Ptex base has delaminated approx. 50% from the front, and I reckon I could pull the whole thing of with ease.

She's 62 and only skis now and again. If I can't fix it she is unlikely to buy another pair.

What glue to use? I have workshop facilities, cramps etc.

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Re: massive sole delamination. What glue to fix?

Postby osloskier » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:46 pm

I have glued delaminated bases twice, but the delamination had occurred at the tail and was only about 10 cm long in both cases. Kid's skis.

I used a coarse file to roughen the p-tex, then used the slowest setting epoxy I had (24 h, I think) and clamped them. I had to make a sort of makeshift mould due to the shape of the tail. To my surprise, the repair actually worked.

I have later heard somewhere that one can use a little less hardener than usual to make the hardened glue a bit more flexible, but I haven't tested that myself. I would not be surprised to learn that there is a better glue than epoxy, but at least it still held together when we gave the skis away at the end of the next season.
Last edited by osloskier on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cratermaker
xcskiforum 10K

Postby cratermaker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:03 pm

Epoxy was my first thought but I rejected it as being too brittle. But maybe not. I only have fast set stuff to hand, but can go out and get some slow set.

Good point about roughing up the surfaces.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:58 pm

I've used the same method as Osloskier with good results.

Kevososlow
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Kevososlow » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:27 am

I have some older Trak waxless skis that have bases that delaminated on me in stages over the past few years. Rather than removing the whole base, I've just been gluing the "loose" sections as they separate. I used Liquid Nails and clamped it for ~24hrs with wood scraps and wood clamps. The excess adhesive was trimmed with a utility knife once it hardened. No issues for the past two years with this fix. Living in south east PA, they only get used a handful of times per year on non-groomed golf courses and fields.
Attachments
IMG_20141127_085411.jpg
IMG_20141127_085411.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:12 pm

What brand of skis are these? Usually more than 10cm is not repairable. For shorter section, we use a high quality two part epoxy. For longer portions, they tend to fail again within the first year. For the cost of a good epoxy, you could likely find another used set of skis though.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

cratermaker
xcskiforum 10K

Postby cratermaker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:29 am

They are Peltonen, likely to be 15 yrs old but hardly used, and towards the bottom of range.
I've ordered some 2 part epoxy and estimate about £7 of it for the repair, I'll keep the rest 'in stock'.

It's worth a try to keep the lady skiing. :)

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:19 am

I sell West Systems G/Flex Epoxy at my OYB website and my eBay store but you can get it elsewhere as well. The only flexible epoxy. Slow cure. Also works well when material is damp. Also works well with dissimilar materials. About $20 for 8 oz. (two 4 oz bottles)

Unfortunate thread titles as I was looking for info on boot SOLE delam peel-off re-gluing. Ski BASE is a diff thing. But G/Flex might work for my guy as well.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

cratermaker
xcskiforum 10K

Postby cratermaker » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Thanks for the help folk. The clamps are coming off tomorrow..............fingers crossed!

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:30 pm

Jeff: I have had success fixing delaminated boot soles with Casco Fix-It construction glue. But Casco Liqui-Sole would probably have looked better...

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”