Atomic Redster Marathon Classics or Redster Worldcups?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Carabiniero8
xcskiforum 10K

Atomic Redster Marathon Classics or Redster Worldcups?

Postby Carabiniero8 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:22 am

Hi All,

I am an advanced beginner/early moderate cross-country amateur female skier in my mid-30's. Recently had an unfortunate accident where one of my Nanosonic Madshus was run over by a car on the highway, severely cracking the top half of that ski. So, I find myself shopping for new skis mid-season. I was really attached to my Mudshus (I'd only had them for about 2 years), and am looking for something similarly awesome that won't also break my bank.

I've narrowed it down to two choices (unless someone has a pair of Nanosonics for sale?) and would appreciate some advice. I plan to have these skis for life barring any further freak accidents.

1) Atomic Redster Marathon Classics or 2) Atomic Redster Worldcups. The Wc's are probably overkill for me as I am not a serious racer and overall a more conservative skier. I do do 2 or 3 amateur races per year, but that is about it and is not likely to change much in the future. On the other hand, the Wc's are only $80 more expensive than the Marathons (so I would be getting a much better deal on them relative to what they retail for vs. the Marathons), and if there is a significant difference in the quality of the ski and if it would improve my form (I still have a ways to go on that), I would definitely be open to getting them over the Marathons.

Your advice and thoughts, especially if you own either model would be appreciated.

thank you,
Cara

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Atomic Redster Marathon Classics or Redster Worldcups?

Postby jt10000 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:42 am

Not answering your question, but maybe consider getting a lower-level Madshus. I have a pair of Nanonsonic skate skis from perhaps five years ago, and about two years ago I got some Suprasonics (about two levels down). They're really, really nice - just as much fun to ski.

There are no cross-country ski shops where I live, so I got them here:
http://www.nordicskater.com/madshus.html

And Hypersonics (one level below Nano) are super super skis.

Of course, ski fit is vital - I had some back-and-forth with the shop about the right ski for me, which you should too.
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: Atomic Redster Marathon Classics or Redster Worldcups?

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:09 pm

I too would recommend looking for Madshus if you liked your previous Madshus. It won't be long before people like Boulder Nordic start putting previous years skis on sale. You may want to check their website or give a call. They usually have a number of demo and skis for testing, so in effect, used skis also. I bet this has been a slow year for ski sales (for CO and MN, not Maine), so you might get lucky on a pair from this year.

Jay

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”