Skate boots vs. Classic

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

mwolterstorff
xcskiforum 10K

Skate boots vs. Classic

Postby mwolterstorff » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:55 am

My first pair of skate skis are on their way to me right now. So I know in general, skate boots have more ankle support and stiffer sole construction. What I haven't been able to find, searching the forum, is would there be harm in beginning with my classic boots? Am I risking injury or developing really bad technique, or would I be fine as a beginner using my classic boots on skate skis? Thank you.

nxski
World Cup

Re: Skate boots vs. Classic

Postby nxski » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:54 pm

You would have trouble balancing on and controlling your skis with a softer boot. That's why they add ankle support to a skate boot. So, it would be detrimental to your learning process.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

mwolterstorff
xcskiforum 10K

Postby mwolterstorff » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Thanks for the response. That confirms what my suspicion was already. My next question, which probably has been answered before, since I already have classic gear, would it be advised to avoid combi boots and go to a strict skate boot, or will a beginner not notice much difference, and should I just go with what fits best, or if I happen to find a good end of season deal on one or the other?

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:31 pm

A combi boot works relatively well for both, but is definitely a compromise, even for a beginner. If you already have a classic boot, I would get a skate boot. A combi boot is typically purchased by someone who is growing, or who is on a tight budget. There are a few exceptions to this though.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

IcySmooth52
xcskiforum 10K

Postby IcySmooth52 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:43 am

The only solely classic boots you could use that wouldn't be risking ankle damage would be something like Fischer SC Comfort boots. (Has ankle support). Please don't use classic boots with skate skis. You'll regret it in at least one way.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”