Switching from SNS to NNN - remounting

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Paul
xcskiforum 10K

Switching from SNS to NNN - remounting

Postby Paul » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Hey,

Last season after my first marathon I bought new Madshus Hypersonic skate skis. Given that I just had purchased new Salomon Slab Skate Pros a few weeks before to go with my older Salomon Skate8s, I opted to have an SNS bindings mounted on my Madshus. This has been seemingly working fine.
However, now that I am loving skiing so much, and focusing on this sport primarily, I am looking at upgrading gear. I am wanting to buy a pair of Madhus Redline Skate skis in the coming season, BUT I think that I want to switch to an NNN boot as they are lower, lighter, etc etc. (Well, maybe not lighter than that new Salomon carbon boot that is $1200, but you know). IF I buy new NNN boots at the end of this year, could I remove the Atomic bindings from the Madshus Plate and then put on an NNN Rottfella binding so that I can use my Hypersonics with my new boots ? or is the plate and ski now stuck with the Atomic binding ?

Sorry if the above is confusing. In summary, can I remove a SNS binding from a ski with a plate and put on an NNN binding ?
Thanks for the help.

PJT
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Switching from SNS to NNN - remounting

Postby PJT » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:17 pm

It's not a problem removing the SNS Pilot binding and popping a NNN onto the NIS plate. A buddy of mine just switched his entire 5-pair fleet from Pilot to NNN, both with and without NIS plates.

Paul
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Paul » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:03 pm

This is great news. Thanks for the insight there. I was fearful that the SNS mount might render the plate unusable for the NNN. You just made my nite. Thanks!

. . . now to toss and turn over Madshus or Aplina boots. ha

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Just speculating, not speaking from experience, it may depend on where the screws went through on your particular skis. If they went through at a spot where the binding "snaps" should be engaged you may have to move it to a less than ideal position. Again, I'm not sure if this is a real concern or not.

Paul
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:04 am

Chris wrote:Just speculating, not speaking from experience, it may depend on where the screws went through on your particular skis. If they went through at a spot where the binding "snaps" should be engaged you may have to move it to a less than ideal position. Again, I'm not sure if this is a real concern or not.

Thanks Chris. That is what I was worried about. I noticed that there are different indentations on the plates which obviously play a role in where to mount/"snap" in the binding. I am relatively new to skiing and wasn't sure of all the tech, but feared for something like that to be an issue. . . I guess I'll have to wait and see.

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:49 pm

It's possible to replace the NIS plate if necessary. When one of my plates broke the shop sent the ski back to the factory, and I got it back with a new plate within a week.

larsonian
xcskiforum 10K

Postby larsonian » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Chris wrote:Just speculating, not speaking from experience, it may depend on where the screws went through on your particular skis. If they went through at a spot where the binding "snaps" should be engaged you may have to move it to a less than ideal position. Again, I'm not sure if this is a real concern or not.

I had a similar experience with this in switching from Profil bindings to Pilot. When I had it done they said they had to adjust the position slightly from where they otherwise would have because of the existing holes. So, if the screws are in a similar pattern between your old and new bindings, that may be an issue to find out about. Not sure how much of a practical difference it makes while skiing though

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:45 pm

larsonian wrote:

I had a similar experience with this in switching from Profil bindings to Pilot. When I had it done they said they had to adjust the position slightly from where they otherwise would have because of the existing holes. So, if the screws are in a similar pattern between your old and new bindings, that may be an issue to find out about. Not sure how much of a practical difference it makes while skiing though

I don't understand why they would have done that, there is only one extra hole that needs to be drilled when making that switch.

The R3 binding is easy enough to switch to, you need to drill all new holes and fill the old holes. You can also switch to a screw-in NIS plate, but the extra holes can weaken a ski if it has a densolite core, so that isn't advisable.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

rilo
xcskiforum 10K

Postby rilo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:14 am

I just snapped a screenshot of an NIS plate that previously had SNS bindings mounted on the plate. The photo shows that only the heel plate screw is drilled through the "stops" on the NIS heel plate. Since the SNS hole only takes out a small section in the center of the stop, even it it were drilled where you'd want your heel piece to snap into, it looks like it would hold (perhaps with a small bit of cleanup required). And if not, worst case you may need to adjust your heel piece a click + or - if that stop were damaged.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s29/sh/8 ... 2ac05d2489
Attachments
NIS_plate_w_SNS_holes.jpg
Photo of NIS plate w/SNS? mounted holes.
NIS_plate_w_SNS_holes.jpg (96.51 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
Last edited by rilo on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:33 am

If I remember correctly SNS bindings use 5 screws, so I think one is not shown in the pictures.

rilo
xcskiforum 10K

Postby rilo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:01 pm

Chris wrote:If I remember correctly SNS bindings use 5 screws, so I think one is not shown in the pictures.

You're right. I forgot about that screw that's located in the middle of the foot, between the toe and heel. Is that on all SNS or just the Pilots?

Perhaps this ski had pre-NIS NNN's on there.

Anyway, that 5th screw probably does land right in the midst of the aft set of "stops" for the NNN-NIS toe piece. Someone out there in forum land must really know the scoop on this.

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:40 pm

Screw on NNN bindings like the R3 also have a 5 hole pattern.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Chris wrote:If I remember correctly SNS bindings use 5 screws, so I think one is not shown in the pictures.

Profil Equipe bindings use adhesive rather than a screw in the middle of the ridge plate.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Paul
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Paul » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks everyone for the great replies and insight. I genuinely appreciate it.

I have the SNS Pilot Bindings ( http://a3.static.outnorth.com/image/upload/v1412139696/uploads/live_product_image/file/0/0/53/53975/oneway-sns-pilot-skate-premio.jpg ) so I will let you know how this process goes once I pull the trigger on new NNN boots and Xcelerator bindings. . . Hopefully it goes smoothly.

Tokodave
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Tokodave » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:39 am

You might note my post on NNN bindings catastrophically failing...I'll be replacing my NNN bindings on all my skating equipment with SNS and new boots as well...an expensive propostion but cheaper than any additional medical expensees I'm guessing.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”