WorldCup Sprint won on plain new skis!

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Cloxxki
World Cup

WorldCup Sprint won on plain new skis!

Postby Cloxxki » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:21 pm

Writes Kikkan Randall on her fasterskier.com blog :
"Peter, my wax tech, had two pairs of skis ready for me and we took a few laps around the course. Both pairs felt free and fast but after a couple glide-outs we decided to go with a brand new pair of Fischer Carbonlite 610’s with the factory grind."
She used the same pair for all of the WC, Qualifying to Final.

Well, this is hopeful news for those who are not their own professional ski tech. You don't necessarily need to ski-in your skis for hundreds of miles. Complex stone grinds. Maybe just a few magic spells and extra wax reps?

I do suppose that the wax guys give the skis a once-over after each (short) session, providing there's time? Some super-slippery top layer that lasts only 1.5km? But that's for the Wax forum I suppose.

slowerskier
xcskiforum 10K

Postby slowerskier » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Pay attention Cloxx! Those skis are still completely special:
* Zach said last week that the Fischer World Cup skiers have a special race shop factory grind that differs entirely from the retail version.
* As you observed, all carbonlites comes with the number-stamped tip, which at least used to indicate that they were selected special skis. I think Zachs writeup of carbonlites indicated that all of them are specials.
* Kikkan will have "people" further select skis for her from the special pile.

That said, Ivan Babikov killed it two years ago on some Salomons right off the retail shelf in Minnesota. So it's possible to do well on retail skis but that's not what Kikkan is on. Anyway, hang onto your carbonlites if they feel like a good fit. You should grow into them as your skills develop on snow. So are you going to race soon?

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:26 pm

That pair of skis of Babikov's were mismatched even! But you know, Babikov is and probably still is light years ahead of most skiers here.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:28 pm

Also, when I was writing about new grinds under that previous thread, I wrote:

That rough "microscopic structure" seems like it's a good thing in the upper 20's F and old snow, but a bad thing in cold snow or most types of new snow.

The conditions for the sprint were "around freezing," so likely good conditions for a new grind.

Jay

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:16 pm

Oh well, I dreamt that good skis were attainable for mere mortals or rich folks for at least a few hours...

My Carbonlites are the wrong size, won't use them. Just trying to get them a good home.
My other skis (I'll soon have a collection of 190-191-192's, now on it's way from eBay) will over time need to be tried on different surfaces.

Hoping to find a chance for 2 weeks of snow later in the winter. Some solid instruction, and time to make miles and hill reps.
Racing, perhaps. First manage to downhill and not wet my tights. Need to find a "race" course, master it and then get fast on it within my then current capabilities. I know just the place : Leutasch Austria, Skating-Zentrum. Brutal-to-me hills, and an off-camber right-hander in a downhill.

Now how much less fast (can't say slower) would Kikkan be on some "plain" Carbonlites picked off ebay, no super special selected pair, no 30 layers of $$$ wax, just a good pair of skis? Untill I someday hit a magical pair of ski, I don't really have an idea what's there to be won.

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:06 pm

Cloxxki wrote:Oh well, I dreamt that good skis were attainable for mere mortals or rich folks for at least a few hours...

Sure. You just buy them from the elite skiers after they're done with them.

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Back in the day (1995 to be exact)...

Postby kaNUK » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:30 am

I was working in a ski shop during the World Nordics here in Tundra Bay when the Atomic rep walked in with ...Vladimir Smirnov :shock: and a few Austrians. This was the year that Atomic first came out with the "cap" construction. (Remember those pink and white abominations which would not stay flat, due to a weak core?). One of the Austrians noticed that we still had two pairs of long sandwich construction skis on the rack and beckoned over the rest of the entourage. They flexed away for a while, peered down the base, then offered to trade these for some of Vladimir's current crop of team skis. Seeing that Vladimir offered to sign them, I was ok with that. Vladimir did not speak much English, but was fluent in German. Good news, as that is my first language.

Then the Austrian asked for a couple of pairs of bindings to go on his new skis. As we walk into the shop area he also sees our stone grinder, and asks me to give them a "wet" grind before I mount the skis. Grinding and mounting two pairs of skis for Vladimir was a highlight of my tech career.

The point: Sometimes even the best ski on off-the-rack boards ...but I do expect that this is the exception :-)

Cheers
kaNUK

PS - I also got a great steak dinner out of the deal :D

Cloxxki
World Cup

Re: Back in the day (1995 to be exact)...

Postby Cloxxki » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:23 pm

kaNUK wrote:I was working in a ski shop during the World Nordics here in Tundra Bay when the Atomic rep walked in with ...Vladimir Smirnov :shock: and a few Austrians. This was the year that Atomic first came out with the "cap" construction. (Remember those pink and white abominations which would not stay flat, due to a weak core?). One of the Austrians noticed that we still had two pairs of long sandwich construction skis on the rack and beckoned over the rest of the entourage. They flexed away for a while, peered down the base, then offered to trade these for some of Vladimir's current crop of team skis. Seeing that Vladimir offered to sign them, I was ok with that. Vladimir did not speak much English, but was fluent in German. Good news, as that is my first language.

Then the Austrian asked for a couple of pairs of bindings to go on his new skis. As we walk into the shop area he also sees our stone grinder, and asks me to give them a "wet" grind before I mount the skis. Grinding and mounting two pairs of skis for Vladimir was a highlight of my tech career.

The point: Sometimes even the best ski on off-the-rack boards ...but I do expect that this is the exception :-)

Cheers
kaNUK

PS - I also got a great steak dinner out of the deal :D

Cool story!
Was it really not a matter of delayed luggage, needing some skis, just in case? :-)

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Postby kaNUK » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:12 pm

No, they had a van full of skis ...but they were all first generation cap skis. None of the Atomic skiers seemed to like them very much. I actually saw a couple of sandwich type skis at the event with the pink and white cosmetic to give them the cap ski look. Whether the skis he picked up in the store actually saw use during the Nordics: Who knows? The conditions were ridiculously warm and slushy with tons of dirt (mostly diesel soot from the groomer). Over dinner the Atomic wax techs were grilling me about what usually works for our conditions. All I could tell them that we've never had conditions like these. All kinds of whacky structures and base preps were being tested, including boat wax :shock:

Cheers
kaNUK

Camilo
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Camilo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Cloxxki wrote:Oh well, I dreamt that good skis were attainable for mere mortals or rich folks for at least a few hours...

Of course you know that the difference between good skis and excellent skis is very small, probably not noticable to anyone without side by side testing. If you buy good quality skis from a good shop and prep them according to simple principles, you will likely have excellent skis that you'll be perfectly happy with. Whether they're as good or not compared to the absolutely most perfect skis you could find with professional selection from 100s of skis, you will never know and will never miss.

Just my opinion, but it's not like retail shop skis are actually "bad"!

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”