HELP! Trick to remove pole grip?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

HELP! Trick to remove pole grip?

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Ugh, I'm in a bind. I have some nice old Exel top-shelf pole shafts. I soaked some old leather Rossi grips and slid them on. They went on partway but no further. Then they would not come off! I mean, right then and there. I pushed them on with hot soapy water and they went on but wouldn't come off. I've been struggling with them for a few days since. I've been soaking them. Cold water, hot water. I've dried them. I've tried injecting silicone at the juncture-point on one of them. For the other I tried squirting PB Blaster penetrant. Soaking now again in hot soapy water.

I wonder why they won't push on all the way. I'm guessing there's an inner tube that the top lock-assembly is part of which isn't sliding into the opening of the shaft. Odd that the outer tube went over the shaft but whatever is up inside the grip won't insert into the shaft. I wish it would! Maybe I shouldn't give up on pushing. I'll try pulling again. If that doesn't work I'll go back to pushing.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (136.77 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Re: HELP! Trick to remove pole grip?

Postby dcpattie » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:59 am

Wrap the grip with a ziplock and place it water that's just below boiling for 3 mins. That will release the glue for certain.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:05 pm

How does the ziptie help?

I note that I only just slid the grips on and they wouldn't come off. No glue involved.

My solution was to soak a lot more in soapy hot water and then push them all the way on. I finally was able to do that.

Now I've tried the poles and they seem too long to me. I immediately hurt some shoulder tendon attempting to use that length. (I'll try to get the length soon to see how they might compare to the official chart.)

So now I know that I do want to remove the grips. I suppose a soapy hot soak is my only hope.

But maybe this ziptie idea can help me remove them somehow?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:59 am

I place a ziplock bag over the cork handle and seal it with a tight rubber band. This way the cork doesn't degrade in the hot water. But it sounds like you have a different problem - my solution is just for softening up the glue.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Also stuck with a pair of used Swix Star jr. Tried soaking in boiling water and pulling with all strength but won't budge at all. Neither grip, so it's not just one that's difficult.

What's next, heat gun?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:28 pm

Tried a heat gun (soldering type). Tried and tried, still wouldn't budge. Heated the handle for 10 minutes until it started to smoke, and the aluminum next to the grip where i could hardly hold it further down. Put the pole in a vice as per instructions and pulled with all my might but nothing, just the lower part folded slightly. Unbelievable.

What's going on? Surely normal melting glue must have melted. Either they have used another type of glue, or could there possibly be a vacuum situation?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:57 pm

Did you have any luck with your grip Jeff? Could it be vacuum that's holding it in both our cases?

The air gun I used was maybe not ideal, so I'm looking to get a regular hot air gun since I have other poles I will adjust and it costs the same as letting a shop change grip. When I have it, I will again try to change the troublesome grip normally, if still not I will drill a hole to see if releasing vacuum might to it.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”