Need a stable pair of skis

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Need a stable pair of skis

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:06 pm

One hole in my pile of skis is a stable pair of skate skis. Let's say you have a course that has been groomed with large groomers, and on race morning it's very firm. Let's say the first few skiers kick up a quarter inch of loose snow on a firm base. What's a good pair? I'd like it to be fast in hard and medium pack, so it's still good in a two lap race. (If e.g. you wear an Atomic suit on race day and recommend Atomic's, I'll listen, but I'd also like to know your affiliation and why.) I suppose some will say "get a stiff ski," but it seems to me that as a ski get's stiffer it doesn't glide as well. So I'm looking for a brand that inherently is good in hard track, yet glides well. (The holy grail?)

BTW, I have soft track skis up the wazoo.

Jay

Greggb
Forum Founder

Postby Greggb » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:14 pm

Read this. http://www.nordicskiracer.com/cgi-bin/n ... ewsID=1466

I am partial to the Salomons, they do excel in hard pack but they also hold their own in soft conditions.
xcskiforum.com Master Groomer
<b>www.xcskiforum.com</b>
[img:3udfsk04]http://www.xcskiforum.com/pichost/data/media/1/xcskiforumlogo_2.JPG[/img:3udfsk04]
[img:3udfsk04]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/xcskiforum.jpg[/img:3udfsk04]

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:03 pm

I dunno Jay, I was talking to Liebsch yesterday and he was telling me everyone on his team has different preferences for ski stiffnesses. Yeah I name dropping. :D

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:31 am

I you're not sure what to get, the Salomons are at least a very affordable choice lately. Perhaps less so at professional ski fitters, but online the Equipe 10's are dirt cheap! I spent under €240, shipped with installed bindings.
I could have gotten more sets much cheaper, but my size got sold out.

Reading the reviews everywhere, it does seem a populair ski. They may miss the "sex appeal" of Carbonlites and Nanosonics (come on, "Equipe"...), but I'm happy with the choice. That is, I can't wait to get to test them.
If the Salomons are considered best for hardpack, and Atomic WC's for soft snow, I think I've got a stable base for my pile.

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:48 pm

Give the Rossi's a look--they're stiff and track very well. I'm running a set of Deltas right now, but the Xium should be similar if not superior.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”