Skin ski, what to get?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Skin ski, what to get?

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Hi guys, looking to get skin ski but not sure what to go for.

Atomic Redster Skintec seems to get the best reviews, but as others have said in other threads here, it's maybe a bit heavier than the others? Does this really matter so much, or is the convenience with the magnetic skin system worth it? I've also seen more than once people say they don't track well, so there's that.

Another option I'm quite keen on is the Rossignol R-skin. They are lighter, and Rossignol seems really to be nailing their ski design generally judging from World Cup athletes etc. I use Rossignol skate skis and they are nice. I have it from the Rossignol importer that the R-skins are slightly softer than the charts, and there are no stiffness grades as opposed to Atomic where each length comes in soft and hard. The R-skin is just in the length so for my weight and height it's borderline.

The final alternative is Salomon RC Skin, and Salomon together with Atomic were supposedly the first to come out with Skin ski which ought to count for something. But the biggest argument for this ski is that a competitive race 'Fredagsbirken' (Friday Birkie) was won on these skis. (a landmark victory for skin skis), although the suspicion is it could have happened on Atomics or Rossignols, and that it was just the skin beating the varying conditions. But still.

Of course there are Fischer Twin Skin and Madshus also has a version, but not getting as good reviews as the others.

Any ideas? Unfortunately I'm not able to test so just have to go for one or the other..

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Skin ski, what to get?

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:15 pm

Hey! I would recommend a pair of un-drilled Atomics.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:32 pm

Cheers, but what is un-drilled exactly?

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:54 am

Neuro wrote:Cheers, but what is un-drilled exactly?

Those without pre-drilling, i.e. without factory drilled screw holes for the bindings. This is because I am somewhat puzzled by the pre-drilling on the Atomic and Salomon skis of this season; it varies quite a bit and I can't see the reasons for it. But if you find a pair that is pre-drilled to your liking then it is of course alright.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:30 am

Yes I see your points from the thread about pre-drilling.

Rossignol are advertising that their skins are the smallest on the market, and checking in a shop today, they definitely seemed smaller than Madshus, both shorter and narrower. Unfortunately they had no Atomics to compare to. The Fischer Twins are of course narrower overall, but seemed slightly longer. The main criticism I've seen for the Twins is that the grip level is too low in certain conditions, so I guess they must be of a certain size anyway.

In the general thread about skins, the thought that there might be other options for skins speaks again for an easy-to-change system like Atomic has, but again, what about the weight?

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:26 am

I stopped at a shop and they liked the Madshus (two models, one quite expensive) and Fischer twin best. Quite a price range ($600, 330 and $220).

Jay

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:02 am

Neuro wrote:[...] speaks again for an easy-to-change system like Atomic has, but again, what about the weight?

A pair of Atomic Redster Skintec weigh 1600 g compared to the lightest, Rossignol R-skin, that weigh 1400, and Madshus' and Salomon's skin skis weigh in around 1500 g, so the differences are not big. My roller skis weigh 3100 g ...

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm

The weight difference doesn't sound like much, but it might be significant nonetheless as I remember after splashing out for a pair of Swix Triac 2.0 poles how it was a world apart from the CT pole I had before, and I believe the actual weight difference was minimal. Of course there's weight distribution as well with the poles, but from a skin ski test I've seen, weight is listed as a factor between the Atomics and the others.

I am more or less set on the Atomics, but to be honest I have been for the last two seasons, only to find everywhere was sold out in my length and stiffness when I came to buy. I contacted the importer about it, and they acknowledge this has been an issue. It's just selling like crazy. This year there are still my size available, but now I'm quite taken with the Rossignol, also because of the price.

But being able to change and even mod skins is very attractive and of course the extra skin that comes in the atomic package justifies the higher price to a degree.

hmm.. Image I really should decide soon..

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:39 am

Neuro wrote:The weight difference doesn't sound like much, but it might be significant nonetheless as I remember after splashing out for a pair of Swix Triac 2.0 poles how it was a world apart from the CT pole I had before, and I believe the actual weight difference was minimal. Of course there's weight distribution as well with the poles, but from a skin ski test I've seen, weight is listed as a factor between the Atomics and the others.

The poles are swung more, and swung with weaker muscles than the skis, so the effect is quite different. The first generations Skintecs were also heavier than those of today, so if the test you read was made with the older Skintecs you should bear that in mind.

Neuro wrote:But being able to change and even mod skins is very attractive and of course the extra skin that comes in the atomic package justifies the higher price to a degree.

Very much so.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:28 pm

Just ordered the Rossignol R-Skin as the black friday offer was too good to pass up. Also because I'll be skating mostly, so the skins are just for those odd or icy days and therefore not too important to have 2 skins to change around like the Atomics have. With the NIS plate binding system, there will anyway be a possibility to adjust glide and grip to a degree.

Will still be some time before I can try them out as they are not in stock plus the snow conditions are anyway not good enough yet, but will come back with impressions later.

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Burgesse » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:47 am

Have any of you tried or seen the Yoko waxless skis?

http://yoko.fi/materials-and-rd/yoko-optigrip/

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Never even heard about it. Looks very interesting, although a bit confusing to understand what it is.. A coating?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:52 pm

FWIW, I also ordered Atomic Pro Skintec with Atomic Prolink bindings for my partner. This is not as advanced as the Atomic Redster Skintec with its honeycomb core, this is foam. Not that she doesn't deserve the best ;) , but never skied much and this was recommended for novices with poor technique and has anyway come out well in tests.

Mark M
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Mark M » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:17 am

Burgesse wrote:Have any of you tried or seen the Yoko waxless skis?

The first Optigrips were for designed recreational skiers and the whole ski base was treated with this grip treatment as skis barely had any camber. Many were disappointed due lack of speed and grip was good only at above zero C.
Newest models ("2.1 version") include models which have have grip area similar to normal classic skis but I haven't heard much about them.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:45 am

Burgesse wrote:Have any of you tried or seen the Yoko waxless skis?

Here is an article in Swedish on Yoko Optigrip 2.0: http://www.langd.se/test-yoko-optigrip- ... 01831.html

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”