xcskiforum 40K

Re: Skin ski, what to get?

Postby Neuro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:21 am

Pic of the Rossignol R-Skin 17/18:

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:08 am

That ski, r-skin race, will come with the Turnamic plate vs the NIS that it is shown with.

I skied them recently and they were a nice upgrade from the r-skin. It is built using the Xium model ski vs Delta.

I had a chance to ski all of the brands and I felt like the top end Salomon, Madshus and Rossi were my favorites. The Atomic doesn't kick well and the Fischer was draggy even after trying a variety of ski flexes.

The Salomons I tried were very fast but somewhat difficult to kick as they are built on more of a klister camber ski. You would need to be a proficient classic skier to use them.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 am

Klister camber is also how Petter Skinstad, the guy who won 'Fredagsbirken' (friday birkie) described his Salomon skins, but what is klister camber exactly?

And did you try with the yellow or black skin? Petter won using the black, which I understand has shorter hair and lesser grip than the yellow, but better glide presumably.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:05 pm

Higher camber is how I would describe it.

Generally camber height is:

Hard wax around .9 to 1.2
Hard Wax/klister cover 1.2 to 1.4
Klister 1.4 to 1.7

I tried the pink ski I believe

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:59 am

Think I'll wait for the Rossignols to come down in price, maybe next season, unless a too-good-to-pass offer on Salomon comes up.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 am

Well now just such a 'too-good-to-pass' offer on the Salomons has come up ($220), so I might go for that unless Rossignol has a similar end-of-season sale soon.

But interestingly, the shop says the Salomon skin is not actually made of mohair like the others, it's made from some synthetic material. The Salomon web page is the typical modern one that's virtually impossible to find any useful info on, so can't confirm it, and even the contact link doesn't work. Anyone else know for sure?

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 am

Next years Salomon skin is the pair I was talking about. This years doesn't have that high camber fast feel that next years does. You may find the same problem you had with the r-skin with next years top end ski though as it's somewhat difficult to kick

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:58 am

That's good to know. Seems I might just go for this years model then. Only drawback is there are very few left in stock so not 100% sure they will find a perfect pick for me, but might be worth a try. Especially as there is an alternative skin available.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:07 am

Neuro wrote:But interestingly, the shop says the Salomon skin is not actually made of mohair like the others, it's made from some synthetic material. The Salomon web page is the typical modern one that's virtually impossible to find any useful info on, so can't confirm it, and even the contact link doesn't work. Anyone else know for sure?

Finally made contact to Salomon Norway and they can confirm it's made from synthetic material, but didn't know what exactly.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:42 am

I asked Salomon Norway what exactly was the synthetic material, and they now got back to me from I suppose head office that it is not synthetic after all, but goat hair.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”