Skin ski, what to get?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Skin ski, what to get?

Postby Neuro » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:40 am

A November 2017 comparative test of the latest racing line by two members of Skiforeningen (ski union) and two journalists, proved there was "very big differences" between the good and the bad, but the winner with a clear margin was Fischer Twin Skin Pro IFP 17/18.
https://www.dagbladet.no/tema/stor-test ... e/68875719

Interesting to note that the skin here is a mix of mohair and nylon.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:17 am

Got my kid (7 yr old) the Rossignol Speed Skin Jr, and it is also very good. Luckily I had found Rossignol's size chart (based on weight) on the net before going to the shop as they would have given me the wrong skis. They are nice and wide with a reasonable sidecut making them easy to turn. The glide and grip was very good. The skis were prepared from the factory for glide.

OT, but the skis came with Rossignol Step In Jr binding that has the new Turnamic system, but the kid had no power to open it (a reasonably strong boy). I tried to lubricate them, but didn't work. In this way the old Rottefella Dino binding Jr was much better.

Run&Ski
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Run&Ski » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:23 pm

Neuro ... do your ski shops where you live rent skis? If so, it might be a better idea to rent a pair or pairs to see what you like most. Otherwise, buying skis without trying them is an expensive gamble. I've made the mistake. But I will no longer buy a pair unless I can try them first, either by renting a pair or trying them during a demo day.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:36 am

Good idea and wish I could try before buying, but shops don't rent and AFAIK ski rental shops don't have proper measuring gear so I would just get an approximate ski which wouldn't tell me much IMO.

After having 2 sets of skin skis now, it seems the main thing is to have them accurately fitted for weight and technique (eg. touring, training, racing). Just a few kilos off will give poor kick or glide.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”