Binding mounting

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Binding mounting

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:52 am

I've seen from some threads here that the shop or even factory will not drill holes exactly to the balance point, so maybe an idea to do it myself?

If so, should the binding exactly fit with the balance point, or are there individual preferences to that? I guess with Xcelerator -type binding that you can move around, this might matter less?

When buying new bindings, do they come with a template and instructions you can use to drill holes?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Binding mounting

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:38 am

There are personal and ski or snow condition induced preferences to binding mounting, but a general rule says on balance point or 1 or 2 cm behind for classic style skis. With NIS bindings, mounting the plate on balance point is standard procedure so the zero position of the binding comes on the balance point.

Bindings used to come with a mounting template but nowadays it seems the customer is supposed to use the binding or mounting plate itself as a template. Have a look at David Zof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_coLpWQ8Bg

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks. I did watch that video before mounting bindings to my kid's new skis, but wasn't sure if it was a reference, and it's also about skate ski.

I can see it makes sense to have the balance to the front for striding like you say, and right on balance point for skating, but curious if the balance point shifts because of the rubber bumper or what it's called, causing the ski to be pushed when lifted? I guess there's also the weight of the binding itself possibly off-setting the point?

Incidentally, after mounting the kids binding to brand new Asnes Snowman children ski on the balance point, they are in wildly different positions which is slightly bizarre, especially for such a short ski (120cm), and reputable brand.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:19 am

Neuro wrote:I can see it makes sense to have the balance to the front for striding like you say, and right on balance point for skating, but curious if the balance point shifts because of the rubber bumper or what it's called, causing the ski to be pushed when lifted?

The balance point remains the same, I think.

Neuro wrote:I guess there's also the weight of the binding itself possibly off-setting the point?

Yes, my experience is that it can offset the balance point with up to 5 mm backwards.

Neuro wrote:Incidentally, after mounting the kids binding to brand new Asnes Snowman children ski on the balance point, they are in wildly different positions which is slightly bizarre, especially for such a short ski (120cm), and reputable brand.

In such cases one usually lets the backmost binding decide the position for both bindings.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:06 pm

Ok, then you fill the drilled holes with wood glue before putting the screws in as I've seen from other threads, or should it preferably be something else nowadays? Do you paste the screws with it as well to make sure of a tight seal?

Does it say on the binding package what hole size to make, or does anybody know what it is?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Neuro wrote:Ok, then you fill the drilled holes with wood glue before putting the screws in as I've seen from other threads, or should it preferably be something else nowadays? Do you paste the screws with it as well to make sure of a tight seal?

Does it say on the binding package what hole size to make, or does anybody know what it is?

Wood glue in the holes is sufficient. 3.5 mm drill is normally used and the hole shall be 9 mm deep.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:40 am

Perfect, I think I should be able to do it myself now which should ensure a correct fit. Thanks Magnus

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:06 am

Neuro wrote:Perfect, I think I should be able to do it myself now which should ensure a correct fit. Thanks Magnus

You're welcome. What brand and model of bindings will you mount?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:03 am

Not sure yet, but I guess the lightest possible if I should go for the heavier Atomic Redster skin ski which it looks as and NNN since that's what my boots are. Any recommendations?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:12 am

Neuro wrote:Any recommendations?

Yes, Salomon or Atomic Prolink Carbon Classic if you can do without the NIS system.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Why do you deem them better than Rottefella or Fischer?

And generally, is there really a significant weight difference (or other difference) between the 'race' binding and the second best type (exercise?)?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:15 am

Perhaps not better, but lighter. Then they are also directly screw mounted with 5 screws instead of 8 with two mounting plates, and if you get an Atomic pair with pre-drilling you like you won't be able to use those 5 holes for the NIS plates but need to drill an additional 8 making the total number of holes 13 per ski.

The weight difference is not big, but since you seemed to want the lightest I mentioned the Carbon model.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:00 am

Ok, but question remains about the value of NIS on skin skis. Maybe it's even more significant than on wax ski to be able to move the foot around when the idea is to adjust grip and glide?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:54 am

Neuro wrote:Ok, but question remains about the value of NIS on skin skis. Maybe it's even more significant than on wax ski to be able to move the foot around when the idea is to adjust grip and glide?

That is a new question. I think it is better to modify the grip zone instead of modifying the balance of the ski, but I know skiers who prefer it the other way around.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Agree that modifying grip zone sounds more logical than the other way around, but how to do that in practice with skins? (maybe a topic for another thread though).

I guess with a NIS binding, one at least has the option to play with the binding position as well.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”