Binding mounting

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Binding mounting

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:13 am

Neuro wrote:Agree that modifying grip zone sounds more logical than the other way around, but how to do that in practice with skins? (maybe a topic for another thread though).

I guess with a NIS binding, one at least has the option to play with the binding position as well.

I believe Jeff has just started that thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4961

Yes, so it is.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:44 am

As it was a very good offer on and it's among the lightest (the lightest?) I bought Rottefella Xcelerator Pro 2.0 and a NIS plate with screws so I can do it myself if the ski doesn't come with the plate already mounted.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:58 am

Neuro wrote:As it was a very good offer on and it's among the lightest (the lightest?) I bought Rottefella Xcelerator Pro 2.0 and a NIS plate with screws so I can do it myself if the ski doesn't come with the plate already mounted.

I believe the Prolink Carbon Classic is lighter, but if you want the Nordic Integrated System the choice is simple. If you have not ordered the Atomics with NIS plates mounted you will have to mount the plates. Do you know if you will be getting pre-drilled skis, i.e. this season's model of Atomic Skintec?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:44 pm

Yes, more than likely it will be this year's model Atomic Redster Skintec. Are you saying they are all pre-drilled?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Neuro wrote:Yes, more than likely it will be this year's model Atomic Redster Skintec. Are you saying they are all pre-drilled?

Yes, they allegedly are. You will have 26 holes in total in that pair of skis. Let's hope they won't become too soft.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:15 am

I checked with one shop and they said all are pre-drilled. As you say that's a lot of holes which can't be good. Might have to return my Rottefellas then (or get the Rossignol R-skins..)

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:16 pm

Neuro wrote:I checked with one shop and they said all are pre-drilled.

You could try to find a pair from 2015/2016. Another option is to control the pre-drilling and pick a pair that is to your liking if there is variation between pairs and go for the Prolink binding. Keep the Rottefella binding if you can afford it since it will probably come to use sometime. It would be very interesting though, if you would act as this forums test driver and try them out with NNN-NIS bindings and 26 holes.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:22 pm

FWIW I managed to catch a glimpse of a (budget) sports shop mounting binding and there was no locating of balance point or whatever, it was just skis in the clamp, on with the jig and drill + some glue at the end.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:06 am

Neuro wrote:FWIW I managed to catch a glimpse of a (budget) sports shop mounting binding and there was no locating of balance point or whatever, it was just skis in the clamp, on with the jig and drill + some glue at the end.

I believe they already had the balance point marked on the skis.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:22 am

Could be, but the skis were grabbed leaning against the wall. It would seem strange they mark the balance point and not do the rest in one operation.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:51 am

Neuro wrote:Could be, but the skis were grabbed leaning against the wall. It would seem strange they mark the balance point and not do the rest in one operation.

Maybe they are so experienced with binding mounting and different skis so they can recognize just from the graphics on the skis where the balance point is. I think you should visit that shop again and ask them how they do it.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:25 am

They must recognize the position from the graphics as this a chain shop that must do hundreds a week, but I thought the balance point for each ski varied slightly and should be checked every time?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:02 am

Neuro wrote:They must recognize the position from the graphics as this a chain shop that must do hundreds a week, but I thought the balance point for each ski varied slightly and should be checked every time?

Yes, preferably, but maybe the variation is so small that they find it unnecessary for their customers. I still think you should ask them. I am interested in the answer.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:34 am

I will try to remember next time I'm there.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”