Cleaning and Maintenance of SkinTec Skis?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Montana
World Cup

Cleaning and Maintenance of SkinTec Skis?

Postby Montana » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:15 am

Many classic skiers used skin skis at last years warm and wet Birkie. There was a lot of discussion about dirt buildup resulting in drag.

1. What's the best way to minimize drag. Peter Watson suggests applying a liquid wax like Toko Express Wax or Swix Nordic Easy Glide to the mohair strips. Anyone have experience with this?

2. What's the best way to clean the mohair strips?
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Cleaning and Maintenance of SkinTec Skis?

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:59 pm

Montana wrote:Many classic skiers used skin skis at last years warm and wet Birkie. There was a lot of discussion about dirt buildup resulting in drag.

1. What's the best way to minimize drag. Peter Watson suggests applying a liquid wax like Toko Express Wax or Swix Nordic Easy Glide to the mohair strips. Anyone have experience with this?

2. What's the best way to clean the mohair strips?

1.There even are special skin waxes by Atomic and Swix.

2. Good question.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks Magnus,
Here's the two products from Swix that I found after searching on several sites with Swix waxes.

Swix Skin Care to prevent icing and Swix Skin Cleaner to clean the skin.
Image Image

I'll be looking for these in the shops I visit.
I checked on-line at New Moon, Gear West, Boulder Nordic Sports and Eagle River Nordic. None have these products listed.
Last edited by Montana on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:30 pm

I've heard a couple of recommendations (for last years Birkie) for Hydrex. I've also heard good comments about hydrex over the years, but it's fairly expensive for how often I'd use it. My Skintecs are soft and slow (and up for sale), but if I get a set of skin skis that perform well, I might consider racing them if waxing stumps me.

Just bought some Prolink boots today.

Jay

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:35 am

Thank you, Ralph, for the information about Swix Skin Cleaner. At https://www.swix.no/produkter/Skismoeri ... in-Cleaner it says that the Skin Cleaner is not available right now. The same goes for Swix Skin Care. I wonder why.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:41 am

MN Hoser wrote:Just bought some Prolink boots today.

What brand and model did you settle on?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:13 am

1. About glide, I've seen some recommend Zero spray fra Swix or similar silicon spray

2. Cleaning: Normal ski clean liquid and Fiberlene cleaning paper according to Petter Soleng Skinstad who won the 'Fredagsbirken' on skinskis.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:51 am

Magnus Johansson wrote:What brand and model did you settle on?

I started with the Salomon RC, Atomic ? (top boot) and some light weight Alpinas. Then onto Salomon S-Lab, some heavier Alpinas, etc. Anyway, when I went down a size in the S-Labs (they didn't have a smaller RC) they felt about the best (Atomics and Alpinas were very close), and the final boots was:

The Salmon S-lab

Now I need to get some bindings swapped. I guess Salomon has a program to swap them out for something like $45. Not bad.

Jay

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:14 am

I've had good luck just using a cheap liquid or paste wax on the skins. I supposed for a race you could use something with higher fluor content but for everyday skiing paste wax worked really well.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:24 am

MN Hoser wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:What brand and model did you settle on?

I started with the Salomon RC, Atomic ? (top boot) and some light weight Alpinas. Then onto Salomon S-Lab, some heavier Alpinas, etc. Anyway, when I went down a size in the S-Labs (they didn't have a smaller RC) they felt about the best (Atomics and Alpinas were very close), and the final boots was:

The Salmon S-lab

Now I need to get some bindings swapped. I guess Salomon has a program to swap them out for something like $45. Not bad.

Jay

So you are going for Prolink bindings and not NIS-NNN. That swap offering was not bad at all; Salomon really wants to keep Rottefella out of the picture here.

To other readers than Jay: Please excuse us for talking boots and bindings here.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:24 am

How come that mohair in garments is such a sensitive material and when used in ski skins it is very tough? Is it so that it's the outer fur used for garments and the inner fur for ski skins?

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:42 am

I found another skin care product from Atomic. Not sure which of the various places might carry this but LaNora at Eagle River Nordic says she has it in stock.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:How come that mohair in garments is such a sensitive material and when used in ski skins it is very tough? Is it so that it's the outer fur used for garments and the inner fur for ski skins?

Yeah good question. The normal skin clean (klister clean) that Skinstad says is perfectly good enough to use, is quite strong indeed. I would imagine your mohair sweater wouldn't be much use after a round in that..

But back to maintenance, another thing I've seen somewhere is to use a powder in the skin to prevent pickup. Will see if I can find the link to the article.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:16 am

Neuro wrote:...another thing I've seen somewhere is to use a powder in the skin to prevent pickup. Will see if I can find the link to the article.

Found it, and seems it's recommended to prevent icing. It doesn't say exactly which powder, but suppose it's fluoride.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:00 am

Neuro wrote:
Neuro wrote:...another thing I've seen somewhere is to use a powder in the skin to prevent pickup. Will see if I can find the link to the article.

Found it, and seems it's recommended to prevent icing. It doesn't say exactly which powder, but suppose it's fluoride.

Link?

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”