Newbie - need some suggestions

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

FlyFishNut
xcskiforum 10K

Newbie - need some suggestions

Postby FlyFishNut » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:11 am

Hi-

I'm an avid trail runner and can be in the NC mts in a couple hours and get up that way x2 per month. I found a group of runners up there that also XC Ski and its something I'd like to get into with these guys.

These guys are old school and can't offer much help about buying skis. They suggested I call LLBEAN and get someone on the line to help me select a "package".

My uses would be backcountry, trail and nothing groomed. Cone Manor, Carver's Gap, and the Mt Mitchell area would be where I would go (if anyone is familiar).

I downhill and have most of my life - so I'm not foreign to skiing. I'm looking to enjoy the trails, snow and nature and gets some kickass exercise at the same time.

Any help appreciated on selecting ski/boot/bindings.

Cheers,
FFN

LewLasher
World Cup

Re: Newbie - need some suggestions

Postby LewLasher » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:14 am

I am not familiar with the areas where you are planning to go skiing.

Can you describe how steep the trails are? That may be helpful in getting guidance on what type of equipment to get.

Lew

FlyFishNut
xcskiforum 10K

Postby FlyFishNut » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:27 pm

LewLasher wrote:I am not familiar with the areas where you are planning to go skiing.

Can you describe how steep the trails are? That may be helpful in getting guidance on what type of equipment to get.

Lew

Thanks, Lew. Check this link out for descriptions. Does this give you an idea?

http://getgoingnc.com/cross-country-skiing/

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:19 am

Sorry about the delay in replying. (Somehow, I've been doing <stuff other than cross-country skiing> this past week.)

I am not sure about this, but my guess is that the main thing about the trails is that they are ungroomed, more so than that they are steep. If this is true, then I don't think that metal edges are necessary, but that you could do well with wide skis and NNN-BC boots/bindings. Also, you want poles with actual baskets, not those flat things they have at the bottom of poles for groomed trails.

However, that is just kind of a first guess. Different people have different preferences. I know people who use metal edges on groomed trails. I sometimes use metal edges on groomed trails in Vermont, but that's only in March, when there can be a lot of ice on portions of the trails, and that's only on the steepest trails. (For anyone who has skied in Stowe, I'm talking about downhill Parizo at 3 p.m. in March.)

Lew

Zombiewrangler
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Zombiewrangler » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:03 pm

I am also a few hours away from those spots and would be curious on everyone's thoughts. I am currently trying a pair of aero 150sc roller skis to get me these mid North Carolina winters. :roll: Hopefully I will get out to the mountains more this winter.

FlyFishNut
xcskiforum 10K

Postby FlyFishNut » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:45 pm

Zombiewrangler wrote:I am also a few hours away from those spots and would be curious on everyone's thoughts. I am currently trying a pair of aero 150sc roller skis to get me these mid North Carolina winters. :roll: Hopefully I will get out to the mountains more this winter.

I'm going to just take the plunge after Christmas and buy a ski package. I'm 2 hours from Blowing Rock. When I decide to make my maiden voyage up there I'll let ya know in case you want to join.

I have a 50k trail race coming up in Feb and need to get some good cross training in - how better to do it than on Xcrountry skis??

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”