Changing cleats on Salomon Carbon Skate Lab

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Changing cleats on Salomon Carbon Skate Lab

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:34 am

Here is a video showing how to change cleats on the ski boot Salomon Carbon Skate Lab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBPI9tHovWk&spfreload=5

Will this come to much use?

Loran
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Changing cleats on Salomon Carbon Skate Lab

Postby Loran » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:03 am

This is great news.
Much like bike shoes and cleats/pedals which can be selected independently.

You won't change ski shoes cleats more than you change your bike shoes cleat, but at least and at last you can buy the bindings you want.
I think It also opens a door for innovation in the bindings design.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:49 am

Loran wrote:(...) but at least and at last you can buy the bindings you want.

However, Salomon already have ski boots with NNN compatible Prolink outsoles (that have better side stability with the center blocks). Why have not the replaceable Prolink cleats center blocks except for the heel cleat?

Mark M
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Mark M » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:01 am

I think the cleat replacement option came as happy incident in product creation phase, it is just the easiest way to add cleats to carbon shell. Salomon probably did not think that you would change the cleats very often but anyway it is nice option for buyers.

Might even consider these boot myself if the fit and price would be right - the cheapest price I have seen is 499 euros which still pretty expensive. I'd have to keep the shoe covers on permanently though :D

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:59 am

Mark M wrote:I think the cleat replacement option came as happy incident in product creation phase, it is just the easiest way to add cleats to carbon shell.

I don't think so because Salomon already had the Carbon Skate Lab with "molded cleats" for the SNS system before they created the Prolink system.

Mark M wrote:Might even consider these boot myself if the fit and price would be right - the cheapest price I have seen is 499 euros which still pretty expensive. I'd have to keep the shoe covers on permanently though :D

499 EUR sounds cheap. I believe the lowest price I have seen was around 800 EUR.

Mark M
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Mark M » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:40 am

Magnus Johansson wrote:
Mark M wrote:I think the cleat replacement option came as happy incident in product creation phase, it is just the easiest way to add cleats to carbon shell.

I don't think so because Salomon already had the Carbon Skate Lab with "molded cleats" for the SNS system before they created the Prolink system.

No. Have you held the Carbon Skate Lab boot in your hands? The construction is completely different from previous models - it consists of minimalized carbon shell and soft inner boot - this is why they were able to reduce the weight so much.
If they had used molded cleats (or full soles) from previous models they would have had to fix them to carbon shell which would have been heavy and maybe even too rigid. They didn't have to invent too much with bolt-on cleats as this type of fixing is common with high-end cycling shoes - Sidis were first I believe.
I don't think the cleat change for these boots is something you would do very often but this option makes much more sensible purchase. Apparently the they last pretty well even as everyday boot, even if the zippers are bit fragile (but easily replaced).

The cheap prices are from German mail-order shops, Sport-Conrad has currently these only 10.5 size available at 499euros but last spring they had full size range.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:07 am

Mark M wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:

No.

Are you saying there were no Carbon Skate Lab with molded cleats?

Mark M
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Mark M » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:45 am

Magnus Johansson wrote:
Mark M wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:Are you saying there were no Carbon Skate Lab with molded cleats?

If we are still talking about the boot in the video, "Carbon Skate Lab" with removable inner shoe, they were never offered with molded cleats like in the S-lab models.
Of course I haven't every boot Salomon has ever made but I know that on the very first Carbon Skate Labs in the shops had the cleats bolted on like in the video.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:48 am

Mark M wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:
Mark M wrote:

If we are still talking about the boot in the video, "Carbon Skate Lab" with removable inner shoe, they were never offered with molded cleats like in the S-lab models.
Of course I haven't every boot Salomon has ever made but I know that on the very first Carbon Skate Labs in the shops had the cleats bolted on like in the video.

OK. Thanks, Mark. Interesting.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”