Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

User avatar
skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: Gdynia, Poland

Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby skiffrace » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:13 am

So I am sitting here, looking at the weather forecast, hoping that we'll get some snow this winter, if not this week/month, maybe the next...
I have no skis at the moment, but as soon as I see snow, I will rush to buy them.
The local ski shops have some basic equipment - Salomon, Fisher, etc. All of them are fish-scale, they have no skin-skis.
Based on what I have read on this forum, skin-skis are (in general) superior to fish-scale/wax.

I use 100% classic style, mix of diagonal and kick-double pole. I skied 30 year ago, so my skills are next-to-none except a bit of rollerskiing.
The terrain here are gentle rolling hills, temps typically don't not get much colder than 5-10 degrees below freezing.
Typical usage would be making the tracks in a virgin snow for a few kms, then maybe doing some laps in my own tracks.

Should I just buy what's available locally? Or should I mail order the skin-skis even at the cost of time delay and more money??

User avatar
Neuro
xcskiforum 40K
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby Neuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Seems the difference between skin and scales is huge according to what I've read. My only experience is to ski next to someone on scales and that was almost painfully slow. The enjoyment must be considerably reduced.

I'm no expert but maybe go for a touring ski if you're not going in groomed tracks.

Look at Sport Albert online store for some sales. Shipping is pretty fast, I've tried them myself.

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:33 am

Neuro wrote:Look at Sport Albert online store for some sales. Shipping is pretty fast, I've tried them myself.

Are you living in Germany?

User avatar
Neuro
xcskiforum 40K
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby Neuro » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:41 am

No

User avatar
skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: Gdynia, Poland

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby skiffrace » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks Neuro for the Sport Albert suggestion. Based on their website, they ship all over Europe, so they are a viable option.

Also, how about buying plain (no fish-scale) skis, then buying the skins separately, and attaching them to the skis? Is the final product comparable to factory-made skin-skis?

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:11 am

Neuro wrote:No

Where do you live?

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:13 am

skiffrace wrote:Also, how about buying plain (no fish-scale) skis, then buying the skins separately, and attaching them to the skis? Is the final product comparable to factory-made skin-skis?

That depends on your skill.

User avatar
Neuro
xcskiforum 40K
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby Neuro » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:Where do you live?

Oslo, Norway. Apart from good selection, Sport Albert is nice in that they sell without VAT to us since we're outside EU. Only shop I've seen to have this service. And when I tipped them their shipper had fees both end, they actually changed their shipper (quite reasonable rates now) and emailed and thanked me for it. Very nice.

User avatar
skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: Gdynia, Poland

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby skiffrace » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:53 pm

That depends on your skill

My skills in DIY skin attachment, or skills in handling the skis with ill-fitting skins..?

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:30 am

Neuro wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:Where do you live?

Oslo, Norway. Apart from good selection, Sport Albert is nice in that they sell without VAT to us since we're outside EU. Only shop I've seen to have this service. And when I tipped them their shipper had fees both end, they actually changed their shipper (quite reasonable rates now) and emailed and thanked me for it. Very nice.

OK, then I assume you have a ski business with a VAT registration.

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:31 am

skiffrace wrote:My skills in DIY skin attachment, or skills in handling the skis with ill-fitting skins..?

The former.

User avatar
skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: Gdynia, Poland

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby skiffrace » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:41 am

You meticulously prep the surface of the ski, then attach the skin using a hot iron, right? I assume skins come with instructions explaining the process

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:14 am

skiffrace wrote:You meticulously prep the surface of the ski, then attach the skin using a hot iron, right? I assume skins come with instructions explaining the process

The process I know of is described in the following video. Please note that you have to first make a skin pocket in the ski base if it does not already have one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FauEycvPAhM

User avatar
skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: Gdynia, Poland

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby skiffrace » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:38 am

Please note that you have to first make a skin pocket in the ski base if it does not already have one

So the skin sits inside of the pocket? That complicates things I suppose. I thought the skin is simply attached to the base of the ski.
How would the ski handle if I attached the skin simply to the base?
How do you make the pocket without mangling the base of the ski? Just carve it out with some hand tools?

User avatar
Neuro
xcskiforum 40K
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Skin-skis vs. fish-scales

Postby Neuro » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:49 am

Magnus Johansson wrote:
Neuro wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:Where do you live?

Oslo, Norway. Apart from good selection, Sport Albert is nice in that they sell without VAT to us since we're outside EU. Only shop I've seen to have this service. And when I tipped them their shipper had fees both end, they actually changed their shipper (quite reasonable rates now) and emailed and thanked me for it. Very nice.

OK, then I assume you have a ski business with a VAT registration.

No, not necessary. EU VAT is only required for sales within EU. Look top left on Albert's web page. Of course I have to pay local VAT (25%) at customs here, but that would happen anyway. Shopping from other EU shops would normally mean paying VAT both places which is a pain.


Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests