Steel edges on skating race ski?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Steel edges on skating race ski?

Postby Neuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:12 pm

After getting on snow after the rollerski season, I am shocked by the poor grip at pushoff and keep thinking how nice it would be to have steel edges to really use the leg power like on rollerskis.

Anyone had the same thought? There is of course a reason why no racers use it, but they are on perfectly prepared courses whereas this is rarely the case here.

The added weight would be an issue too, but again, I'm not racing, I just want to go fast and not use my upper body more than the lower.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Steel edges on skating race ski?

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:12 am

Neuro wrote:The added weight would be an issue too, but again, I'm not racing,(...)

I don't think it would be an issue. What do your roller skis weigh?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:48 am

Weight wouldn't be an issue for me, just curious why it's not available on race skis generally and if that could be a reason.

But if you skate in the winter, did you ever have the same feeling that the washout can sometimes be too much where you would want more grip?

I know some WC skiers and biathletes are much better rollerskiing compared to their mates than on snow. I guess because of better leg pushoff which they can't use as much on snow.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:19 am

It sounds to me like the issue is that your skis are not properly flexed for the conditions or you have technical flaws to work on. With properly flexed skis for the snow conditions I've never had problems with pushing off.

A ski that is too soft for you would have that washed out pushoff feeling.

Neuro wrote:After getting on snow after the rollerski season, I am shocked by the poor grip at pushoff and keep thinking how nice it would be to have steel edges to really use the leg power like on rollerskis.

Anyone had the same thought? There is of course a reason why no racers use it, but they are on perfectly prepared courses whereas this is rarely the case here.

The added weight would be an issue too, but again, I'm not racing, I just want to go fast and not use my upper body more than the lower.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:28 pm

Neuro wrote:Weight wouldn't be an issue for me, just curious why it's not available on race skis generally and if that could be a reason.

Racers ski on well-groomed trails.

Neuro wrote:But if you skate in the winter, did you ever have the same feeling that the washout can sometimes be too much where you would want more grip?

Yes.

Neuro wrote:I know some WC skiers and biathletes are much better rollerskiing compared to their mates than on snow. I guess because of better leg pushoff which they can't use as much on snow.

What names are you talking about?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:42 pm

WC biathlete Lars Helge Birkeland wins nationals on rollerski even with quite illustrious and very fast team mates, but nowhere near their times on snow.

And ex WC skier Øystein Pettersen is also known for his speed on rollerskis compared to snow.

When watching them, especially Birkeland has a noticable late pushoff, so I guess there's something there.

Magnus Johansson wrote:
Neuro wrote:Weight wouldn't be an issue for me, just curious why it's not available on race skis generally and if that could be a reason.

Racers ski on well-groomed trails.

No this is not always the case, even more often now with the climatic conditions meaning a lot of early season 'ice base and grain on top' -tracks. I hear pundits saying some are really suffering with this, losing more time than what's normal (I guess because of more leg based technique). Some are even suffering with calf muscle inflammation due to tensing up because of the icy tracks.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:43 am

Neuro wrote:No this is not always the case, even more often now with the climatic conditions meaning a lot of early season 'ice base and grain on top' -tracks. I hear pundits saying some are really suffering with this, losing more time than what's normal (I guess because of more leg based technique). Some are even suffering with calf muscle inflammation due to tensing up because of the icy tracks.

This is new to me if we are speaking WC competitions. The most common complaint is on a trail too loose and then I guess steel edges wouldn't be of much help.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Yes it's usually loose on top, but the base is virtually ice. In Ostersund for the biathlon races now, the ice was bad for the first rounds, and wise from falls previous seasons, they hacked up the top layer for the last rounds. But of course the top layer will just be ice granules (sugar) and certain places the ski would still reach the ice base.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:43 am

I have a pair of Fischer RCS WM Skating Air Carbon from circa 1991, and they have metal edges, but under the base material as a reinforcement.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”