TURNAMIC - Rossignol And Fischer Partner To Create New Binding System

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Montana
World Cup

Re: TURNAMIC - Rossignol And Fischer Partner To Create New Binding System

Postby Montana » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Fischer posted a news release about Turnamic on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/fischernordic/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED) a few days ago. It linked to a FisherSport webpage with more info. That page is here:
https://www.fischersports.com/en_en/news/turnamicr---ispo-award-gold-winner,2248

Looking at both the FB page and the web page I see that Turnamic bindings will not slide into an NIS mounting plate that has been on some ski models the past several years. Fisher is putting a new "Turnamic" mountain plate on their skis.

I commented on the Facebook page and asked, "Do existing NNN boots fit this new binding?"
Gilles Lapierre replied, "yes but this binding is not compatible with the NIS plate."
I'm taking this to mean that the the Turnamic binding will not slide onto an NIS plate, like I mentioned above.

To that a DavyBoy Martineau replied, "Yes it is, just add a little strip in the NIS plate and you're good to go! Totally compatible."
I'm not sure exactly what DavyBoy is talking about other than it may be possible to "modify" the NIS plate somehow to accept a Turnamic binding.

In another comment later Gilles Lapierre said, "more bindings makes the NIS plate almost obsolete, great for the current inventory of Fisher and Rossi skis with retailers."
I'm not sure if he is a retailer complaining about having an old stock of skis with NIS plates or whether he is excited that Fischer will sell more new skis with the new mounting plate and binding.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:46 pm

The plate is two pieces so it does not affect the ski camber. Also the binding moves on the ski versus being fixed like NNN.

Every boot sole from every company will work on every binding except SNS.

I don't really see the point in putting a Turnamic binding on the NNN plate. There are adapters that will be made but I don't think you will see them at a consumer level.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:20 am

Thanks for all the info, Ralph!

Montana wrote:To that a DavyBoy Martineau replied, "Yes it is, just add a little strip in the NIS plate and you're good to go! Totally compatible."
I'm not sure exactly what DavyBoy is talking about other than it may be possible to "modify" the NIS plate somehow to accept a Turnamic binding.

Have you any idea what kind of strip?

Montana wrote:In another comment later Gilles Lapierre said, "more bindings makes the NIS plate almost obsolete, great for the current inventory of Fisher and Rossi skis with retailers."

I don't think NIS is almost obsolete, but it will be interesting to see how the competition from both Turnamic and Prolink evolves.

Blah wrote:Also the binding moves on the ski versus being fixed like NNN.

Would you please explain how that works?

Blah wrote:Every boot sole from every company will work on every binding except SNS.

I believe I know what you mean, but SNS soles will be produced by a number of companies until further notice.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:21 am

An adapter for NIS will not be available to the consumer. At least at this point in time.

I don't think I could really explain how the binding moves. You have to see it. It is very easy to feel the difference once you have skied it.

Correct, there are several companies that use the SNS sole still. Salomon and Atomic are probably the only ones making quality boots though. My point is that any old NNN boot will fit turnamic, a new Rossi boot will fit NNN, prolink or Turnamic as will a Fischer. Anything with Prolink or from Madshus, Rossi, Fischer, Alpina will fit NNN, Prolink or Turnamic

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 am

Have you any idea what kind of strip?

Sorry Magnus, I have no idea what kind of strip he was talking about.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:38 pm

It seems that the Turnamic mounting plate for the heel part of the binding has no notches. Here is a YouTube video with the new system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPZGFhE2Xh4

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Correct! That is part of the reason it is able to move/flex with the ski

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:14 am

Judging from the Turnamic video, it seems that the actual attachment points of the mounting plates to the ski are very limited. I suspect they can prove to be too limited, but hopefully they are big enough. If this Flowflex feature is as good as test skiers say I wouldn't be surprised if Rottefella divides its full length NIS plate into a two piece solution like the screw mounted Xcelerator NIS plates.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:35 am

More than enough holding the plate on the ski. It is held by 2 metal pins that I would argue is sounder than a plastic tab.

The binding has been in development for 4 years so it has been well tested.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 am

Blah wrote:It is held by 2 metal pins that I would argue is sounder than a plastic tab.

What plastic tab are you referring to?

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:24 pm

NIS is held in place with plastic tabs that lock into place on the plate. Turnamic is held in by metal pins. It is sound.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Blah wrote:NIS is held in place with plastic tabs that lock into place on the plate. Turnamic is held in by metal pins. It is sound.

OK, I see, but I was talking about how the plate is attached to the ski.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:50 pm

The plate is attached to the ski the exact same way that the NIS plate is attched

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:07 am

Blah wrote:The plate is attached to the ski the exact same way that the NIS plate is attched

OK, so is it just the single catch of the binding that reduces the stiffening of the ski flex, and not that the plate itself is able to in a free way bend longitudinally in relation to the ski?

skateski007
xcskiforum 10K

Postby skateski007 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:01 am

Will it be worth the upgrade or is Turnamic more of a convenience upgrade and not so much of a performance upgrade from the current non-turnamic systems? Seems like more so convenience.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”