Pick my Perfect Ski

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Pick my Perfect Ski

Postby dcpattie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:11 am

I had an opportunity to nordic ski for the first time in years at an official nordic ski center (Arizona Nordic Village in Flagstaff). I've been rollerskiing for two years on a set of Jenex RC150's (stable double wheel configuration). Exclusively double poling up to 35k. I decided to rent a skate ski set up with the idea of double poling the entire time. The first trail I selected was an icy trail without classic tracks and I was very shaky at first (especially on the down hills). I was able to make it around without falling. Finally I found the trails with classic tracks and the skate track was groomed with nice powder. Here I felt very comfortable. I was able to DP up all the hills and was very stable in the tracks. Still, I felt that the skis could be more stable and I would have liked more control on the downhills and turns.

Is there a skate ski on the market (or classic ski) that is wide, has good glide, and turns well (perhaps even with a metal edge)?

I draw from my experience as a rower. Some hauls are more stable with better "run" whereas others are more narrow, accelerate better but are more "tippy" and have a nervous feel to them. I'm looking for a stable ski with lots of "run" that also turns easily.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Pick my Perfect Ski

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:43 am

dcpattie wrote:Is there a skate ski on the market (or classic ski) that is wide, has good glide, and turns well (perhaps even with a metal edge)?

Yes, for classic there are, but for skate one does not want the edges to be too far from the center line of the foot. Regarding metal edges I don't know if there are any reasonably narrow skis with that any longer.

dcpattie wrote:I draw from my experience as a rower. Some hauls are more stable with better "run" whereas others are more narrow, accelerate better but are more "tippy" and have a nervous feel to them. I'm looking for a stable ski with lots of "run" that also turns easily.

Yes, I see, but I believe your technique will soon improve so that you will start enjoying the better acceleration and speed of race skis.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Pick my Perfect Ski

Postby Neuro » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Agree that you will likely feel completely at ease on race skis soon enough.

But do try skating as well. You might find that it's more easy to keep the balance, and maybe it could be your thing. I was a classic skier that started skating just to avoid the hassle of waxing, but once I got the hang of it, I find it much more fun. It's faster and nice to involve the legs more.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”