Combi vs Classic Boot

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pat
xcskiforum 20K
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:37 am

Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Pat » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:05 pm

For those of you with tons of experience, is there that much of a difference between using a pure classic boot vice a combi boot? I basically try to ski as athletically as possible and have a nice combi boot already. My touring boot is starting to come apart and thinking about buying an entry level classic race boot. So I'm ready for advice. Thanks Folks.

Pat

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:04 am

Pat wrote:For those of you with tons of experience, is there that much of a difference between using a pure classic boot vice a combi boot?

One gets the added ankle support with a combi boot so the freedom of movement is a little restricted in that way, but otherwise the sole flex is often the same as that of a classic boot. Some skiers even prefer to classic ski in combi boots because of the added support when e.g. going downhill.

User avatar
Montana
World Cup
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:13 am
Location: Choteau, Montana
Contact:

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Montana » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:21 am

Classic skiers actually have a choice of 3 types of boots to choose from.
There's the Classic boot, Combi boot and a Pursuit (or Skiathlon) boot.

The pursuit boots are lighter and have a more rigid upper. They will skate better than a combi boot. I prefer to classic ski in a pursuit boot. I have used the Rossignol X-8 boot but presently I'm skiing the Salomon S-Lab Pursuit with a Prolink sole.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2017!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography and
Ralph's Blog; AKA Ralph's Nordic Web

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Montana wrote:Classic skiers actually have a choice of 3 types of boots to choose from.
There's the Classic boot, Combi boot and a Pursuit (or Skiathlon) boot.

The pursuit boots are lighter and have a more rigid upper. They will skate better than a combi boot. I prefer to classic ski in a pursuit boot. I have used the Rossignol X-8 boot but presently I'm skiing the Salomon S-Lab Pursuit with a Prolink sole.

I count the pursuit or duathlon boot as a high quality combi boot.

Neuro
xcskiforum 50K
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Neuro » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Is it only for the downhills you prefer them Montana?

User avatar
Montana
World Cup
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:13 am
Location: Choteau, Montana
Contact:

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Montana » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Neuro wrote:Is it only for the downhills you prefer them Montana?

Downhills, skating corners, step turns, classic skiing without tracks and similar stuff all seem to benefit from having better ankle support on my 70 y.o. body.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2017!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography and
Ralph's Blog; AKA Ralph's Nordic Web

Neuro
xcskiforum 50K
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Neuro » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:22 pm

All makes sense. Wish I'd heard about this before getting the (relatively) noob wife her gear.

User avatar
JeffOYB
Ski Forum God
Posts: 1177
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:44 pm
Location: Williamston, MI
Contact:

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:18 am

I find that diff combi boots are designed w diff ratios. Some are more like a skate boot and much less nice for classic skiing.

It also depends on if you do real classic skiing -- it seems that some boots are designed, well, for doublepole racing. I suppose these would be the boots designed more for skating. You can easily DP in a skate boot.

I tried the Rossi combi and its cuff was too high on my shin for nice striding. But the Madshus combi works fine for me for touring.

I haven't tried a low race boot lately, but I recall that they are simply awesome and best by far for classic. ...Really, it seems the cuff is useful for technical trails and power moves. I'd really like to do more comparing. (My current low boot fits real tight.) It might be that a low no-cuff boot is actually more stable because it's easier to move around and adapt to terrain with nimbleness. The flip side of getting older, stiffer is that more mobility in a boot gives our joints a better chance to put the ski where it needs to be... If I'm already old and stiff and slow, is it better to have a boot that impedes me even more?

Well, I suppose it all depends...
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Pat
xcskiforum 20K
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:34 am

Hey thanks for the comments and advice. Yeah most of my skiing in Southeast Pennsylvania is on grassy fields -- assuming I find snow... Usually just lay in my own tracks and do the back and forth to get the workout in. I only get to a true Nordic Center about once a year. I am going to do the Winona Tourathon next month up in Eastern New York. So I guess I'll see if the Nordic Center that I go to has a racing boot to try and compare to the Alpina combi boot (which is very nice)
I do many outdoor sports, but there is something about Nordic Skiing that makes me want to chase the snow around here where I live. Find it in the valleys, north facing slopes, tree lines etc... My version of hunting I guess.

Stay healthy Friends and thanks for the inputs.

Pat

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Pat wrote:Hey thanks for the comments and advice. Yeah most of my skiing in Southeast Pennsylvania is on grassy fields -- assuming I find snow... Usually just lay in my own tracks and do the back and forth to get the workout in. I only get to a true Nordic Center about once a year. I am going to do the Winona Tourathon next month up in Eastern New York. So I guess I'll see if the Nordic Center that I go to has a racing boot to try and compare to the Alpina combi boot (which is very nice)
I do many outdoor sports, but there is something about Nordic Skiing that makes me want to chase the snow around here where I live. Find it in the valleys, north facing slopes, tree lines etc... My version of hunting I guess.

Stay healthy Friends and thanks for the inputs.

Pat

Hey, Pat! You are welcome. If you want an entry level classic race boot and already like Alpina, its Racing Classic model (Alpina RCL) is a good buy: http://www.alpinasports.com/product/rcl/503

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Raubie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:16 am

Pat,

I'm on my second pair of Salomon Pro Combis ('16/'17). My first pair from '09 have have a few thousand k's on them and the right toe separated from the sole (not uncommon on that generation). They can be re-glued.

I have the same positive experience as Montana, the extra rigidity when out of the tracks pays big, big dividends. Breaking trail in light snow is also much easier than with classic-specific boots, and they make linked Tele turns much easier.

If I could do it over again, for training, I'd probably just buy Pro Combis or the Pursuits, and the RC Skate.

I haven't used my new boots yet, so it will be interesting to see how well they skate versus my last pair--they are definitely a much better boot.

I normally wear a size 10 in a street shoe, but the new Pro Combis (like the RC's and SLAB's) are size 9's.

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:49 am

Raubie wrote:I haven't used my new boots yet, so it will be interesting to see how well they skate versus my last pair--they are definitely a much better boot.

Raubie, please get back with a review, also regarding their classic technique performance.

Pat
xcskiforum 20K
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Combi vs Classic Boot

Postby Pat » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:35 am

Well I did go out and order the Alpina RCL. I figured since I already had the Alpina combi boot(which I like) and to get something that was mostly different to compare/use was a fun way to go. Kind of like having the SUV and the sports car in the garage -- which I do. So I'll let you know because they are coming on the Big Brown Truck today! Now all I need is some snow......

Thanks for your help Folks

Pat


Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest