Home test for skate ski flex?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Home test for skate ski flex?

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:16 pm

I just got a pair of 187cm and 192cm Fischer RCS skate skis. They seem like fairly recent skis. Maybe mid-2000's.

Is there a ballpark test I can do at home to determine if their flex is close for me? I have no idea who these secondhand skis were picked for.

I'm 6', 175.

They have Pilot bindings. I might try to find a secondhand pair of those boots if I like either of these skis. I don't know anyone I can borrow such boots from for a test ride. (But maybe some place up north has rentals.)

UPDATE: I just read info on the classic flex point of 120% bodyweight. So I could stand on the skis and apparently if full weight leaves 8" off the floor that's not so bad. Then if I can figure out how to bounce 120% of my weight on a scale then imitate that on the floor and bounce the ski flat down at that amount of bounce that could give me the further indication of ballpark not-terrible-ness. But really I should find boots I can use and just test them out skiing asap.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Home test for skate ski flex?

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:12 am

JeffOYB wrote:They have Pilot bindings. I might try to find a secondhand pair of those boots if I like either of these skis.

I suggest you get Prolink bindings instead and use your NNN boots. The Prolink bindings use the same screw hole pattern as the Pilot bindings.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:31 am

or maybe i can get a prolink NIS binding plate then clip on my NIS NNN bindings? i'll look into that.
Jeff Potter

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:47 am

JeffOYB wrote:or maybe i can get a prolink NIS binding plate then clip on my NIS NNN bindings? i'll look into that.

No, there are no Prolink NIS bindings or binding plates.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:21 am

Pull the bindings off. There is no glue or tape on Pilot bindings. Chances are the rate is under there. At your weight you would need the stiff rate.

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Raubie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Jeff,

Without a flex tester, a skate-specific paper test might give you some answers...

"...The camber pocket of a high quality skate ski is designed so that when force (100% BW to 120% BW) is applied to the ski, approximately 8 cm behind the balance point, as the height of the camber pocket decreases the length of the camber pocket does not decrease at the same rate. In particular, the front pressure zone of all high quality skate skis moves only about 1 to 2cm towards the ball of the foot as the force applied is increased from 100% to 120% BW. Skis tend to be more stable when the near edge of the front pressure zone, which can be as much as 40 cm from the balance point, moves very little as the force is applied..."

from (pg 7): http://www.skicodiac.ca/Ski_Codiac/Liens_Links_files/Ski%20Selection%20and%20grinding%20section%20MIKE%20Vierra.pdf

Good article.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:17 pm

With 100% weight on a ski I get easy paper sliding from about ball of foot to 12" forward.

I'm going to put the rubber on the road and just ski the new skis this weekend and see how they all feel. That's how I'll do my flex testing!

(Neat article link. Interesting that for skate skis a good design in hard-base slush to avoid suction has SPLAY in tips and tails. Also interesting that for SOFT cold conditions that testing classic skis is suggested in attempting to find a ski that doesn't plow. Then, for fast hardpack stability is key.)
Jeff Potter

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”