Budget Whitewoods NNN bindings any good? SLOP!

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Budget Whitewoods NNN bindings any good? SLOP!

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:02 pm

I bought some Whitewoods NNN bindings. I haven't tried em yet. My brother also got some. He just mounted them and notices a LOT OF SLOP. That seems really bad. I'm guessing we'll have to return them.

They are installed w just 2 screws for the front portion. They have a flexy rubber button.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Budget Whitewoods NNN bindings any good? SLOP!

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:38 pm

JeffOYB wrote:I bought some Whitewoods NNN bindings. I haven't tried em yet. My brother also got some. He just mounted them and notices a LOT OF SLOP. That seems really bad. I'm guessing we'll have to return them.

They are installed w just 2 screws for the front portion. They have a flexy rubber button.

Jeff, are you talking about Rottefella Basic? It seems like that binding has been discontinued by Rottefella.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Yeah. It's in a box with a big "whitewoods" on it and a small "Rottefella" in the corner.

I bought em on close-out so not surprised they're discontinued. Also, they're sloppy. I can't imagine they're useful. I'll have to try out a set first, though.
Jeff Potter

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:23 am

That binding is meant strictly for light touring use where some play and slop don't matter. I'm guessing you are using it for the incorrect purpose.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Ha... there's a designed duty where crappiness isn't bad. Light touring used to mean sporty skiing on casual trails without a pack. I would think that all ski gear should be designed for good quality. There isn't a demographic where slop is tolerable. Oh well. Yeah, I'm trying to ski on them. I hope that I don't just shatter the things.
Jeff Potter

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:52 am

JeffOYB wrote:I would think that all ski gear should be designed for good quality.

Perhaps David B would say that is a Bolshevik skater's notion; think of the East German (GDR) light bulb with a lifespan of 25 years.

JeffOYB wrote: There isn't a demographic where slop is tolerable. Oh well. Yeah, I'm trying to ski on them. I hope that I don't just shatter the things.

I think you are right, Jeff, but do try them out; they might prove better than expected.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”