boot lifetime

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

sangreen
xcskiforum 10K

boot lifetime

Postby sangreen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:35 pm

What is a reasonable lifetime for XC boots, especially the higher end/racing models?

I got ~5 years out of my last pairs of "elite" classic and skate boots, which were used for both rollerskiing and on snow skiing. So basically I wear them a couple times a week year round, sometimes more in the fall and winter. Is this typical?

This seems about right to me, but I often see people skiing on gear that is much older than mine, which has me wondering if I should look into more durable brands/models.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Re: boot lifetime

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:20 pm

sangreen wrote:What is a reasonable lifetime for XC boots, especially the higher end/racing models?

I got ~5 years out of my last pairs of "elite" classic and skate boots, which were used for both rollerskiing and on snow skiing. So basically I wear them a couple times a week year round, sometimes more in the fall and winter. Is this typical?

This seems about right to me, but I often see people skiing on gear that is much older than mine, which has me wondering if I should look into more durable brands/models.

I would recommend not using your regular ski boots for roller skiing because of the much greater wear and tear from roller skiing. That would prolong the life of your regular ski boots.

sangreen
xcskiforum 10K

Postby sangreen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Yes, I think that you are right that most of the damage was done rollerskiing. Pretty gross actually how much sweat I have poured into those poor boots. Maybe I will spring for some of those rollerski boots because I do not have a pair of regular boots to "demote" to rs duty.

A follow up question in that case: Looking at something like the Alpina ASK summer model, is there a penalty to the plastic cuff other than weight? My rollerskis already weigh a ton so if it is simply a matter of them being heavier I have no concerns there.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:39 am

sangreen wrote:A follow up question in that case: Looking at something like the Alpina ASK summer model, is there a penalty to the plastic cuff other than weight?

I don't think so. Alpina ASK Summer is a very nice roller ski boot.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:54 am

in general, how do Fischer boots fit compared to Alpina (narrower/wider, long/short, etc.)?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:44 am

dcpattie wrote:in general, how do Fischer boots fit compared to Alpina (narrower/wider, long/short, etc.)?

A little narrower, from what I have heard.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:18 pm

I just bought new skate boots. My bumble bee pilot boots are now after 15 years my new roller ski boots.Still good with one zipper a little funky. Only ever used them on snow and very little walking around in parking lots. I do about 60 percent classic and 40 percent skate.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:29 pm

The Fischer boots I found to be a bit smaller than the given size. Both snow and roller boots.

And can confirm the sweat situation with winter boots on summer rollerskiing. I too was hoping to use the same boot whole year but the discomfort was too great. All that sweat must affect wear too definitely. The summer boots are well vented and very nice and stiff.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”