Camber on skate skis

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Camber on skate skis

Postby Neuro » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Stupid question maybe, but what's the idea with camber here?

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Camber on skate skis

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:24 am

Neuro wrote:Stupid question maybe, but what's the idea with camber here?

I think it is an interesting question. Is the camber on skate skis just something inherited from classic skis? Why don't speed skaters use flexible blades with camber?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:24 pm

Can't find much on the internet, but serendipity as I just heard biathlete Johannes Boe just say he chose too much camber for the 20k race in Anterselva and that cost him a lot of time, so it does matter. (he then went on to win the mass start with less cambered skis)

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:22 am

I find this question interesting as well. Here is a quote from the site I found (below)
Camber is the shape a ski has vertically along its length. Most skis are arched so that the area under the binding is above the snow when there is no weight on the ski, with the areas at the ends of the sidecut touching the snow just before the tips start. This shape means that once weight is put on the ski, the flex of the ski will always try to push the whole length of the ski into the snow, which gives you more control from the edges.

The article is primarily about downhill skis, but the explanation makes sense for the skate skis as well.
So without the camber the middle section of the ski might be pushed too much into the snow, while the ends might not be pushed enough.

http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/ ... /skis.html

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:38 am

skiffrace wrote:So without the camber the middle section of the ski might be pushed too much into the snow, while the ends might not be pushed enough.

Thanks,Tom. That might be the explanation, I believe; it is a question about pressure distribution along the ski.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:27 pm

It relates to the softeness/hardness of the ski course. Snow is rarely as hard as ice. Hmm, when snow IS rockhard you'd think it might need less camber -- like an ice skate but I guess that's not how it works.

But in soft snow the tips and tails are actually supposed to SPLAY and be somewhat soft so they ride up on the snow. Probably even classic skis should vary like this because even groomed tracks can be soft.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:43 am

Yeah that must be it guys. Surprised how little information there is to be found online on the subject.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”