NNN bindings: fragile! break easy!

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

NNN bindings: fragile! break easy!

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Ugh. Too bad SNS-Profil lost the market battle. I think they're probably tougher.

I went to NNN-2 way back when it started. I've had at least a dozen sets shatter and break in various ways. All the variants have proven fragile for me.

I'm not talking about the NIS types -- though the NIS refit plate skis i'm using now have bindings that SLIDE OFF THE PLATE. I'm still sorting that out.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Re: NNN bindings: fragile! break easy!

Postby Neuro » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:49 am

Not sure as I managed to chip a brand new Rottefella Xcelerator during mounting. Didn't use too much force either. Maybe pushing a bit too much down on the end while pushing up and that was it. Not big chip but left me thinking these things ought to have better plastic, but then it's all about keeping the weight down too I guess.

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:42 am

I've got a question that is sort of loosely related. I recently purchased a pair of Alpina classic boots. I noticed when I clip into my NNN bindings on either set of skis that I own, that the right boot doesn't seem to set all the way in the binding -- i.e.I don't get that "click" sound. I also noticed that when I press down on the button to release it takes more effort. Just looking at the boot, they look identical. The left boot goes in fine. Any recommendations of a little adjusting? The ski doesn't seem like it is going to depart but I haven't had a chance to really try hard skiing this year because we have had a lack of snow. Thanks for the help.

Pat

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:10 am

Pat wrote:I recently purchased a pair of Alpina classic boots. I noticed when I clip into my NNN bindings on either set of skis that I own, that the right boot doesn't seem to set all the way in the binding -- i.e.I don't get that "click" sound. I also noticed that when I press down on the button to release it takes more effort. Just looking at the boot, they look identical. The left boot goes in fine. Any recommendations of a little adjusting?

Have you tried the right boot in the left binding or in any other binding than the one on your right ski?

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:38 am

Yep -- either ski or set of skis

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:15 am

Pat wrote:Yep -- either ski or set of skis

OK, I think you should measure the opening where the toe bar is and compare with the boot that goes in fine.

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Magnus -- there is about a 2 mil delta between the two. The troublesome boot is longer and a little more rounded than the left one. I hate to go through the hassle of sending them back if I could do some adjustment. For that matter I don't want to ruin a new boot either. As always thanks for the advice.

I didn't get back to you sooner because I went on a trip to ski. Finally got three full days of skiing in and my first race -- a 25K classic race that I was pleased with the effort.

Pat

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:11 am

Pat wrote:Magnus -- there is about a 2 mil delta between the two. The troublesome boot is longer and a little more rounded than the left one. I hate to go through the hassle of sending them back if I could do some adjustment. For that matter I don't want to ruin a new boot either. As always thanks for the advice.

I didn't get back to you sooner because I went on a trip to ski. Finally got three full days of skiing in and my first race -- a 25K classic race that I was pleased with the effort.

It's OK with the delay; you're welcome. Nice to hear about the skiing and the race. Adjustments can be difficult. I think you should send the boots back and get a new pair. The producer, distributor and the retailer want to know if anything is wrong.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”