Exel Straps

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Hugh
xcskiforum 10K

Exel Straps

Postby Hugh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Can anyone advise what replacement straps would be compatible with my old (ca 1999) Exel pole handles? Two versions: one has the straps emerge vertical from the centre of the handle; the other has the straps emerge at 45 degrees either side of the handle. The strap is 15mm (0.6") wide at that point.
Photo attached showing both handle types.
Thanks.
Attachments
Exel Handles.jpg
Exel Handles.jpg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 499 times

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Re: Exel Straps

Postby skiffrace » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:43 am

You need straps whose attachment section is narrow enough to fit through the narrow slots in the pole.
For example, these Skikes do: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LP ... UTF8&psc=1

I own several pairs of straps, and found the following:
- They need to fit you anatomically. You may think that wider straps that spread the load over a bigger area of your palm will be more comfortable, but in my case it is the opposite - wide straps cause my palm to go numb, while narrower don't.
- I strongly prefer symmetrical straps - ones that fit either hand. This way if something goes wrong with one of your poles, you can switch it mid-workout.

zzzz
xcskiforum 20K

Postby zzzz » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:17 am

I ran regular loop straps in the vertical slot of a kind of similar Excel grip, though the vertical slot was separate from the horizontal slots above. Loop straps should be available in any ski shop. Hopefully you still have the existing wedges for locking the strap in. Here's what the Swix "Biathlon" loop straps look like:

http://xcskishop.com/poles/swix-cross-c ... strap.html

I have those Swix straps on all my poles. I abandoned the fancier straps probably a dozen years ago.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:58 am

I had those straps on my bounding poles until recently. I'd just replace the grips and straps to something current.

Jay

Hugh
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Hugh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks all. The price of new handles and straps seems disproportionate to the depreciated cost of the poles so I'm trying for one of the cheap options.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”