Pole Handles Curved...Why?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Pole Handles Curved...Why?

Postby dcpattie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm reviewing everything about my technique and equipment to find potential triggers that caused my elbow tendonitis (skiers elbow). I've been posing for months about what I thought was a triceps injury (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4936); however, after seeing an orthopedic MD I'm convinced it's classic medial epicondylosis.

I found an interesting post about over tension in the grip and how it can cause medial epicondylosis: http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/xcskiers_c ... eplant.htm

Back the the curved handles - are they curved to relax the grip OR is it simply a design feature to maximize extension efficiency? I use the Leki system which is a straight handle (zero bend). I also ski 40-70K per week on the skierg and that also has a straight handle grip. I'm wondering if the straight grip is causing more tension thereby causing the elbow pain?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Pole Handles Curved...Why?

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:46 am

Dave, can it be so that you are gripping the handles too tight and not using the hand harnesses enough? Too tight gripping can often cause carpal tunnel syndrome but I wonder if it also can have something to do with your diagnosis. Tell me what you think.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:Dave, can it be so that you are gripping the handles too tight and not using the hand harnesses enough? Too tight gripping can often cause carpal tunnel syndrome but I wonder if it also can have something to do with your diagnosis. Tell me what you think.

I've thought of that. I do tend to hold them throughout the poling cycle, only relaxing the grip on the recovery. I've watch more accomplished skiers actually release the pole completely during the recovery phase. Actually this was one of the reasons I started using the Leki system - because I was able to have better control of the handle during the recovery (the Leki "loop" sits very close to the hand).
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:40 am

dcpattie wrote:I've thought of that. I do tend to hold them throughout the poling cycle, only relaxing the grip on the recovery.

OK. Then I think you should experiment with how loose you can hold the pole handles, not only during the recovery, but even more importantly, during push-off, and let the hand harnesses take a lot of the load. It is of course very important to have both a fitting pole length for this and very nicely fitting hand harnesses. I prefer a wide harness with the opening on the thumb side.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:58 am

Re. SkiErg grips: I hold the handles throughout the stroke. I get tendonitis at the base of my thumb if I rely too much on the strap.

I'm a big fan of SkiErg, but I wouldn't be disappointed if they came up with a different handle/strap.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Just promise me that you won't use the jazz hand release at the end of your poling phase. :lol: It's incorrect technique that causes you to lose control of your poles and it looks dumb.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:42 pm

Blah, you're wrong again!

Obviously the full on Bill Koch/Marty Hall technique is the way to go, "jazz hands and all." And, I've been told numerous times how cool it looks. (One thing I learned about living in L.A.: It's all about image!)

Sometimes though, I wonder how all those old folks (who are spotting me 20 years) with their ridiculous Norwegian technique, are beating me up.
And I often think how "dumb" that style looks as they blow by.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:41 am

davidb wrote:Blah, you're wrong again!

Obviously the full on Bill Koch/Marty Hall technique is the way to go, "jazz hands and all." And, I've been told numerous times how cool it looks. (One thing I learned about living in L.A.: It's all about image!)

Sometimes though, I wonder how all those old folks (who are spotting me 20 years) with their ridiculous Norwegian technique, are beating me up.
And I often think how "dumb" that style looks as they blow by.

Fun comment! Please, describe the Koch/Hall technique and jazz hands, they sound interesting. Ridiculous Norwegian technique must have been what Emil Iversen showed in the sprint relay in Lahtis when he tripped up both himself and the otherwise probable world champion Iivo Niskanen.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”