Wide ski boots for flat feet

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

celestyx
xcskiforum 10K

Wide ski boots for flat feet

Postby celestyx » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:20 am

Hello,

I am trying to find cross country ski boots (skating) that fit my feet well, with little success so far.
I have flat feet and use custom orthotic insoles in normal shoes.
I ski regularly and rent my equipment, waiting until I find shoes that fit me well to buy them. I am looking for skating shoes which hold the feet well.

So far I have tried Salomon Combi shoe, Equipe 8, RS Carbon, all of these shoes with or without my custom insoles. The favorites for skiing were the RS Carbon, but I had huge blisters on the side of the feet with them.
With my insoles I have the feet hurting at the arch after 20km or so. Without they don't hurt so much at the arch, but they don't fit well on the sides and my technique is poorer.
Salomon shoes are usually too narrow for my feet.
I also tried Mashus Nano Carbon shoes (without my insoles and the size was a bit too big for me, I might try again next time), but the feet were also hurting at the arch.

Can you recommend shoes that are quite wide on the side, but still lightweight and with good energy transfer? Also what is your experience with insoles in cross country shoes?

Thank you.

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Wide ski boots for flat feet

Postby Burgesse » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:10 am

I have found that Atomic skate boots are a bit wider than Salomon. I currently use the Redster with the "Boa" closure and aftermarket sole inserts.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:26 am

celestyx wrote:Hello,

Can you recommend shoes that are quite wide on the side, but still lightweight and with good energy transfer? Also what is your experience with insoles in cross country shoes?

Thank you.

Hello! I recommend trying ski boots by Alpina: http://www.alpinasports.com/

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:38 am

Atomics have the widest fit.

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Postby jt10000 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:31 am

celestyx wrote:Also what is your experience with insoles in cross country shoes?

I think they're pretty important if you have foot or alignment issues. I have flat feet and if I don't correct that a little with good insoles, I get knee pain.

I've used custom orthotics and esoles (similar to Superfeet, but heat moldable) - same as in cycling shoes. Perhaps in classic boots for vigorous skiing there would be an issue of them not being flexible enough, but to me they're really important. I mainly skate.

As I think you've seen, they tend to take up a bit more volume than stock insoles.

celestyx
xcskiforum 10K

Postby celestyx » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:06 am

Thank you for your answers, I will try to find Alpina and Atomic boots, and play around with different insoles.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:03 am

celestyx wrote:Thank you for your answers, I will try to find Alpina and Atomic boots, and play around with different insoles.

You're welcome. Please report the outcome.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”