Rottefella Move System

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Rottefella Move System

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:17 am

Rottefella has now introduced its Move System for cross-country ski bindings. It is a manual and non-remotely controlled version of Rottefellas earlier showcased Rottefella Electric from last season where the binding can be moved lengthwise while skiing. The system is likened to that of a bicycle's gear system in that one can change the properties of the ski -- with better grip uphill and better glide on the flat or downhill -- in a race without stopping. Rottefella Move System is approved by FIS.

https://www.rottefella.no/rottefella-move-system

Here is a short video presentation in Swedish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWBkPxScO0o

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Rottefella Move System

Postby Neuro » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:00 am

Bend down? :?

Nah, it's great. Skins can become even more useful with this.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:11 am

Neuro wrote:Bend down? :?

Pole operated, in the way a Turnamic binding can be, might be the next version of Rottefella Move System. It will be very interesting the coming season to see if and how the system will be used in e.g. World Cup skiing.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:49 am

Indeed, will be interesting to see although I doubt it.

Depending on price, I might seriously consider this for my new skin set as my typical route is mostly flat with the occasional part that is quite steep.

The electric would be easier of course, but looks heavy and too much to go wrong.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 am

I don't quite understand - why would someone want to shift the binding position while skiing? I always thought the position was determined by your shoe size and thereafter fixed (intentionally)?

As a new skater - I'd like an on-the-fly option that allows me to lock down the heel. I think a locked heel provides new skaters with a greater sense of control. Heck, I can skate "better' in my fixed alpine boots and downhill skis. I've also noticed that "Nordic Skates" (for use on frozen lakes) will often have a locked heel binding.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:45 am

Moving the binding forward, obviously shifts the weight there and pushes the the grip zone down more which is better for going uphill.

Moving them back there's then less grip which helps the glide. This has already been possibly to adjust with the Nordic Integrated System (NIS) binding where the binding is set on a plate, but that means stopping, taking off the ski and fiddling with a tool (can be very hard to move).

About fixed heel, I've heard (and tried out) from speed skating that it really makes a difference when the heel is free and one can push off with the toe, and similar with rollerski where the early Skike model was not liked as much as the later where the heel was free. I've been skating both ski and rollerski some years now, and could not imagine fixed heel although it's all about what one's used too of course.

Maybe a compromise would be the Salomon SNS binding with two fastening points on the front part of the foot?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:46 am

Neuro wrote:About fixed heel, I've heard (and tried out) from speed skating that it really makes a difference when the heel is free and one can push off with the toe, and similar with rollerski where the early Skike model was not liked as much as the later where the heel was free.

Yes, this is true. When the free heel was introduced in speed skating the world records were beaten by considerable margins.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Reading more about Rottefella Move system, it seems any old binding can be used, so then the cost can't really be that prohibitive.

One still needs the new NIS 2.0 plate, an 'insert', and the Move switch itself:

https://www.rottefella.no/rottefella-move-system-en/

I'm very tempted to go for this. Likely will do.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 am

I contacted Rottefella who says it will come out in select shops late November here in Oslo, but will only be sold with binding to begin with. Price is still a secret.

Means I will have to wait and install my current NIS plate, and likely have to drill even more holes when I finally get the Move System's NIS 2 plate..

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 am

Neuro wrote:(...) and likely have to drill even more holes when I finally get the Move System's NIS 2 plate..

Yes, what if the screw pattern is new for NIS 2.0? I believe it is better to spare your new Salomon pair or mount Prolink bindings while waiting for Rottefella Move.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:26 am

Went into the best sports shop in town, and they expect the Move System to be for sale mid December. Not sure about price but expect it to be around $235 with binding.

They thought one could buy just the plates and mover separately (but I doubt it since Rottefella said no), and their 'guesstimate' on price for those were around $100.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:20 am

Here is a video on how to install Rottefella Move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNoFJeCTEF0

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 am

It's now in a couple of shops here, for $160 - 180 including binding. The plate can not be bought separately as yet.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:26 am

The Move System seems even more tempting than before, but think I'll go for the Rottefella Electric unless it will be too expensive or heavy as I can see bending down and moving the binding for every hill might be too much of a hassle. They say it will be out for 2019, let's see.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 am

So far I've seen no one in the World Cup using this system. I guess the seconds one might gain can be lost bending down, or it breaks up the rhythm too much.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”