Ski Length ?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Dave
xcskiforum 10K

Ski Length ?

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:00 am

I'm a newbie at x-country skiing and was going to buy some ski's online but didn't know how many cm long they did to be... what is the formula for ski length?
thanks,
Dave

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Re: Ski Length ?

Postby Askel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:49 am

Dave wrote:I'm a newbie at x-country skiing and was going to buy some ski's online but didn't know how many cm long they did to be... what is the formula for ski length?
thanks,
Dave

Depends on the ski really, most manufacturers publish sizing guides based either on height or on weight. I've been exceeding the weight ranges on even the largest of skis for years though, so it's maybe only something of a guideline.

Best thing to do is talk to people who have used the ski you're looking at or visit a knowledgeable shop.

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:04 am

For skiing groomed trails, flex (the ability of the ski to support your weight) is more critical than length. A properly flexed ski will be more stable and provide better all-around performance. Finding a good shop to help you is critical.

e.

Blue Vixen
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Blue Vixen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:59 am

If you're of average build then you can go by height. Ideally thought, it's the weight that is more critical, especially with non-wax skis. I'm over 250lb and need a stiff ski. I chose a waxed ski as I can customise the grip/kick zone when classicing. Even though the first skis I tried were around 210cm in length, they were too soft and the fishscales were dragging too much on the glide.

trailville
xcskiforum 10K

Postby trailville » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:22 pm

Proper ski fit is extremely important (I learned the hard way with my 1st pair of skis, which I purchased locally at a shop where skis were kind of a side business), so you are much better off going to a reputable xc ski shop or ordering online from a shop that will size them properly for you. I've had good results ordering online from http://www.ernordic.com . They do a skier profile as part of the ordering process. Bare minum, a good shop needs to at least know your weight and skiing ability to even attempt to size you. If they don't ask these questions, don't buy from them.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:52 am

Besides just weight, height, ability and fitness a shop should also know what type of snow or grooming you ski in or plan to use the skis in. I've several pair of skating skis each selected for differing snow conditions. once pair for good firm hard groomed track another for track with new snow on it and a third for fairly soft conditions.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”