Skins need sprays? ...What the heck?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Skins need sprays? ...What the heck?

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:16 pm

What's up with skin-skis? They seem to be so famous. Everyone is gushing over them.

I just saw a citizen race report, though, featuring a LOT of people stopping, taking them off, and rubbing them on trees because of icing.

So, they're intended to be waxless. The problem w wax? ...Having to match temperatures. The new way they're saying to handle skin-skis to prevent icing-up? ...Use various sprays to match temperatures. Ummmm... The report said they were great if you matched the right spray. Kinda sounds like hitting the wax...

Well I suppose they are working at the zero range where waxes won't work, so there's that. But otherwise?

I saw a Birkie report of dozens of testimonials post-race from folks who used skins. Must've been from 2 years ago. There were a LOT of angry people due to unpredictable performance, crazy changes during the race, total loss of grip, etc.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Skins need sprays? ...What the heck?

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:10 am

Discussed in the 'skin maintenance' -thread: viewtopic.php?p=22543#p22543

Wax makers are desperate, but in reality I believe all you would need is a silicon spray from the hardware store to prevent icing and get good glide, and ski cleaner which is basically paint thinner to clean the skin once in a while. This from ski pundits (links in the other thread).

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:01 am

I'm concerned that it's not as simple as one spray to keep skins from icing. I'm pretty sure that the dozens of complainers about terrible skis at that Birkie did all use a spray. So it kinda seems that temperature adjusted sprays might be needed... And that icing or other problems aren't limited to one range of temps. Is that right?

...I checked out the old thread. New threads are more fun! Also it was tagged to one brand, Skintec, when this problem for skins seems likely to go across the board to all the brands now getting in on the action.

The summary might be that skins do need temp related treatments but the upside would be that even so a spray might be simpler and more reliable and even more range-tolerant than waxing. ?

...But if ppl start using skins and spray them w blue on a cold day then they ski onto a sunny climb and lose their grip -- they're gonna get ANGRY.
Jeff Potter

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:21 am

I wonder how much of a problem this is in reality. People have won prestigious races on skins with no prep to them whatsoever, just cleaned with normal skin cleaner (paint thinner), and others who have been using skins intensively in a wide range of conditions, say icing is a minimal problem, especially when put in with a powder (unspecified which powder). Other testers, (ski instructors) recommend any silicon based product to help glide.

The thread here is that no fancy product is really needed. That old wax manufacturers are trying to flog a whole new product range on a marked going downhill is predictable.

Mark M
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Mark M » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:22 am

What I have learned from last season waxing for family skin skis:
1. after skiing it is good practice to let the skin skis dry overnight, this prevents icing on future outings.
2. equally important is to let the skis cool down properly before skiing
3. just about any stuff seems to work ok for skin treatment: have tried specific skin treatment, LF glide spray, HF glide spray, generic silicone sprays and even rubbed some glide wax to skins.

This is for season old Fischers, YMMV.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:25 am

any theory as to what so many ppl did wrong who had disasters w skin-skis at the Birkie?

testimonies: http://gearwest.com/blog/reviews-skin-s ... he-birkie/

summary: http://gearwest.com/blog/skin-skis-at-the-2016-birkie/
Jeff Potter

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:19 am

They likely had poorly flexed skis for the conditions.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:49 am

Read all the testimonials and conclusions and seems trouble is not skin icing, but when they got soaking wet. The hair would then lie flat and kick would be gone. Very interesting. Most water repelling products worked apparently.

Additionally, on an icy and wet course (that got worse for later starters) where proper technique was more important than ever, people getting tired, poorly selected skis or wrong binding position seemed to have a bigger impact than normal.

Seems icing was only an issue for klister users.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Must add that it's very good by Gear West to gather testimonials and share lessons like that.

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”