Is your stride equal on both legs?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Is your stride equal on both legs?

Postby Pat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:18 pm

Question -- I've always found that my left leg is stronger and a little bit shorter than my right leg. So it always seems to me when I am skiing classic stride, that my push offs are not as strong/solid on my right side. I pay a lot of attention to my technique mostly because where I live the snow is limited and most of my "real ski" events are back and forth intervals. So wondering if others notice/have that tendency also? I have a couple sets of boots and they are quality gear. I've got narrow feet and thin ankles so I lace up tight and pull the boot straps tight to keep my foot from feeling lose in the boot. Not something I notice when I run but then again I don't have boards strapped to my feet and trying to pound the kick zone.

Thanks for any input -- always enjoy reading from those with more experience. Happy New Year by the way and hope it is a safe one for you all.

Pat

jt10000
World Cup

Re: Is your stride equal on both legs?

Postby jt10000 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:07 am

From a skating perspective, my ability is not the same on both sides, and for me I don't think that's due to one leg being stronger, but rather my balance being better on one side.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:11 am

Pat wrote:Question -- I've always found that my left leg is stronger (...) So wondering if others notice/have that tendency also?

Happy New Year, Pat and others here! I believe one has a dominant leg and foot, just as one has a dominant arm and hand, so it is a challenge to make the weaker as strong, coordinated and balanced as possible so it at least comes close to the dominant one in ability. Physical alignment is also often a part of this problem. Kim McKenney at Cross-country Ski Technique has written about it: http://crosscountryskitechnique.com/12- ... alignment/

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks Magnus for the input. I know for sure when I do balance poses while doing yoga, that one side is easier to balance than the other. I think one of the fun things I like about XC skiing is that it makes you think about technique, and generally seems to payoff when you make the corrections.

Pat

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 pm

In classic, I can't tell the difference between sides. When I'm bounding, I start with my left foot forward, and I assume I resume striding with the left foot forward, but I've never noticed.

For skating, V1, most of the time I feel more comfortable with my left hand uphill. There are times when I'm more comfortable with my right hand uphill (generally when the trail is high on the right, but now always, and that's what's interesting). I am a bit more comfortable doing open field on one side, but it's very slight.

Jay

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:54 am

MN Hoser wrote:In classic, I can't tell the difference between sides. When I'm bounding, I start with my left foot forward, and I assume I resume striding with the left foot forward, but I've never noticed.

For skating, V1, most of the time I feel more comfortable with my left hand uphill. There are times when I'm more comfortable with my right hand uphill (generally when the trail is high on the right, but now always, and that's what's interesting). I am a bit more comfortable doing open field on one side, but it's very slight.

Jay, I assume you are left-handed and right-footed. Is that correct?

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 pm

the only thing i notice is in classic i will leave tail marks with my right leg.

...but if i work on it awhile or train hard awhile on groomed trails the right leg will start behaving better
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:46 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:Jay, I assume you are left-handed and right-footed. Is that correct?

Yes, but if I'm going to carry something heavy, I'd use my right hand. I play golf right handed. One thing I've noticed is that I wax opposite direction to everyone else, brushing left to right. I assume that has something to do with being left handed.

Jay

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:24 am

MN Hoser wrote:Yes, but if I'm going to carry something heavy, I'd use my right hand.

Yes, I believe that is because you are right-footed.

MN Hoser wrote:I play golf right handed.

I think that should be called right-sided since many right-handed people play left-sided in e.g. ice hockey. I wonder how sidedness is linked to handedness and footedness.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:41 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:Yes, I believe that is because you are right-footed.

I figure it's because my right arm is stronger.

Jay

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”