How long do skis last?

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

How long do skis last?

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 pm

I'm guessing their lifespans are rated by mileage but I haven't seen any ratings of lifespans or comparisons or estimations. What a funny biz is our ski trade!

I'd guess that 2000 miles might be a nice ski lifespan. ...I did see that mileage noted by a brand for a nowax ski model. However, waxables don't have any worry about nowax properties fading so might last longer.

Seems like a lot of my skis last 5 yrs when being used regularly. I have items in my quiver used only a few times a year that I've had for decades.

(UPDATE: I MEAN HOW MANY MILES DO BASES AND CAMBERS LAST?)
Last edited by JeffOYB on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
World Cup

Re: How long do skis last?

Postby Neuro » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:27 pm

I've seen threads in a Norwegian forum about sole degradation and how there is really no need to store it in wax as is done after every season by many, as some have taken out 20 and 30 year old skis and it still looks the same, but then I believe they are basically plastic which is not affected by much except ultra violet light (sun) (photodegradation).

Of course the core is wood or honeycomb (cardboard?) and that might be affected by atmospherics, but then they are quite well sealed.

Interestingly, I heard biathlete Ole-Einar Bjørndalen said he put on his all time favorite ski from the 80s recently and felt they were all over the place compared to his new set. Whether this was due to ski degradation or just development progress wasn't clear, but from the way he said it I gathered it was the latter.

fishskicanoe
xcskiforum 40K

Postby fishskicanoe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 pm

I still occasionally ski on my Epoke 1000's. They are almost 40 years old. As long as they are stored in a reasonable place my guess is that you'd be able to ski most waxable skis indefinitely.

Last week:
ImageP1020617 by fishskicanoe, on Flickr
Snow snow snow!

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:25 am

cute ski jor friends!

... i meant how many MILES does a ski base or ski camber last? not just years of 'age.'
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”