Salomon Bindings - Info Req'd

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

Blue Vixen
xcskiforum 10K

Salomon Bindings - Info Req'd

Postby Blue Vixen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:55 am

I recently ordered a set of Salomon Profil Active bindings to replace the ones I broke last season, only when they arrived the company had sent Profil Equipe Skate bindings by mistake. I've examined them from top to bottom and the only difference I can find (besides the colour) is the rubber bung which has a flex (stiffness) rating of 115 instead of the 105 on my original Active bindings. I do a mixture of classic and skate which is why I went for the Active "combi" binding in the first place.

Firstly, how does the Salomon flex rating work, i.e. does a higher number represent a stiffer or softer binding?

And

Secondly, will it really make that much difference?

I don't want to have to send them back as I'm off to Germany next week and time is tight. I'm not in competition and just need to know if it will effect my technique much...?

PS. I'm a bit annoyed at Salomon's fancy flash powered website... all glitter and no substance. And what's worse, they no longer have an email option for questions or complaints about the website...!!!

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:58 am

When you get where you're going, swap the red ones out for yellow ones.

matt aro
xcskiforum 10K

Postby matt aro » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:40 pm

I wouldn't worry about the different flex ratings on the bumpers. You should be just fine.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:58 am

The Solomon Classic bindings have the softest bumper, the skate bindings are the stiffest and the combi are in between. Technically the stiffer skate bumper will cause a slight increase in the force applied to the snow at the fnt of the ski during kick. Given that your trip is coming up quickly I would go with the skate bindings you were sent. The difference between them and a combi binding will most likely not be noticeable. If it worries you that they are not exactly right then look for replacement bumpers on your trip and have a ski shop make the switch.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”