Fun w new skis!

Skis, Boots and Pole Reviews and Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Group

User avatar
JeffOYB
Ski Forum God
Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:44 pm
Location: Williamston, MI
Contact:

Fun w new skis!

Postby JeffOYB » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 pm

I just skied new-ish skis for the first time today! FUN! Just got a set of Xium that just might be flexed for me at 180lbs. My 1990 Rossi's were soft even at 170 lbs. And they've had quite a short wax pocket for some years. (I notice how the more I weigh the less I can slide the paper around under the skis.) They required a precise kick all right! I took the skis outta the box. They had some dust on em. Guy said they had a fresh grind. I've never had a grind! They were also still kickwaxed. It's been getting warmer, 28F powder, and the wax felt tacky-ish. So I gave em a whirl! Superfast and awesome kick! I took a minute off my usual 3 mile loop the first try.

They have new Rotte R4 bindings, screwed in. The bumpers are so stiff my toes were sore at the end. I compared to my old 1990 ski binders and the old ones flex easier. I hope these are skate bumpers and that I can find SOFTER ones. I googled and see that they're all black so color won't help.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:46 am

JeffOYB wrote:They have new Rotte R4 bindings, screwed in. The bumpers are so stiff my toes were sore at the end. I compared to my old 1990 ski binders and the old ones flex easier. I hope these are skate bumpers and that I can find SOFTER ones. I googled and see that they're all black so color won't help.

Can you post a picture of the bindings and their flexors?

User avatar
JeffOYB
Ski Forum God
Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:44 pm
Location: Williamston, MI
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 am

28126113_10159974937155537_307342864_o.jpg
28126113_10159974937155537_307342864_o.jpg (127.34 KiB) Viewed 921 times
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks, Jeff. Yes, those are skate flexors or bumpers because they have the rear flexor part, the small part behind the catch.

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Judging by the print on the skis it seems like the right ski has its binding further forward than the left ski. Have you checked the binding mounting, Jeff?

User avatar
JeffOYB
Ski Forum God
Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:44 pm
Location: Williamston, MI
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Good eye! One binding is mounted 1/3" different from the other.

Both are quite in FRONT of the balance point so the skis are quite tail heavy. I've never had classic skis like that. I noticed them acting funny today when I reversed directions, lifting the skis and the tails drooped quickly. Well, let's see how they herringbone! Do some ppl prefer tail-heavy w classic? I haven't seen it. If I don't like it I might have to make my skis heavier by taping a weight to the tip! Hmmm, maybe redrilling won't weaken them too much. Might have to move bindings an inch to get em tip-heavy like I usually have them -- and I could level them then, too. But maybe neutral is best. I do want to perfect my herringbone!

I'm trying to look at pics of classic vs skate bindings and both appear to have rear bumpers. ? Different shapes?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:47 pm

JeffOYB wrote:One binding is mounted 1/3" different from the other. Both are quite in FRONT of the balance point so the skis are quite tail heavy. I've never had classic skis like that. I noticed them acting funny today when I reversed directions, lifting the skis and the tails drooped quickly.

I suggest redrilling at balance point or at your preferred distance behind.

JeffOYB wrote:Do some ppl prefer tail-heavy w classic? I haven't seen it.

Neither have I. No, at balance point or slightly behind is standard.


JeffOYB wrote:If I don't like it I might have to make my skis heavier by taping a weight to the tip!

Ha, ha! No, don't do that.

JeffOYB wrote:Hmmm, maybe redrilling won't weaken them too much.

If you plug the holes well the skis will probably be alright.

JeffOYB wrote:I'm trying to look at pics of classic vs skate bindings and both appear to have rear bumpers. ? Different shapes?

No, rear bumpers are for skate bindings. I saw that Nordic Skater has good prices now: http://www.nordicskaters.com/products/c ... nd=&color=

User avatar
JeffOYB
Ski Forum God
Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:44 pm
Location: Williamston, MI
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:11 pm

But the Nordic Skate link shows a classic binding w rear bumper...

Maybe I just need softer bumpers all around?

Do you have a link to pic of a Rotte R4 classic w no rear bumper?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:58 am

JeffOYB wrote:But the Nordic Skate link shows a classic binding w rear bumper...

Maybe I just need softer bumpers all around?

Do you have a link to pic of a Rotte R4 classic w no rear bumper?

Those with rear bumpers are for skating. Here are the ones for classic: http://www.nordicskaters.com/products/c ... c-flexors/

User avatar
JeffOYB
Ski Forum God
Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:44 pm
Location: Williamston, MI
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:
JeffOYB wrote:But the Nordic Skate link shows a classic binding w rear bumper...

Maybe I just need softer bumpers all around?

Do you have a link to pic of a Rotte R4 classic w no rear bumper?

Those with rear bumpers are for skating. Here are the ones for classic: http://www.nordicskaters.com/products/c ... c-flexors/


Still confused. That's a pic of front bumpers. It seems like you're saying that skate bindings have both front and rear bumpers.

I always thought that skate and classic were the same except for stiffness of bumpers.

I did just got some new R4 bindings -- and there are no rear bumpers but each box came w a set of stiff and soft front bumpers.

I have taken the rear bumpers out of the bindings on the skis that were hurting my toes. We'll see how that affects them. What do the rear ones even do? We're suffering a bad melt now and then a hard freeze so who knows we might get strong crust and I might be skating instead of classic.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:33 am

JeffOYB wrote:Still confused. That's a pic of front bumpers. It seems like you're saying that skate bindings have both front and rear bumpers.

Yes, skate bindings have front and rear bumpers; classic bindings have only front bumpers.

JeffOYB wrote:I always thought that skate and classic were the same except for stiffness of bumpers.

OK, but now you know, I hope.

JeffOYB wrote:I did just got some new R4 bindings -- and there are no rear bumpers but each box came w a set of stiff and soft front bumpers.

Yes, sounds like classic bindings.

JeffOYB wrote:I have taken the rear bumpers out of the bindings on the skis that were hurting my toes. We'll see how that affects them. What do the rear ones even do?

I believe they are there to dampen the return of the boot down into the binding and also help with lifting the boot up again. Neither Prolink nor Turnamic bindings have rear bumpers so they are generally not deemed necessary.

User avatar
JeffOYB
Ski Forum God
Posts: 1391
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:44 pm
Location: Williamston, MI
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm

I tested them for 1 second w the rear bumper removed: no difference. Front bumper impedes good toe action even though bumper is soft. Rats. Rear bumper irrelevant. I removed front bumper, then fine. But of course it then fills w ice and needs to be chipped out. Not tolerable. It almost seems like the plastic parts are also not designed for classic -- even w soft bumper there is not enough room for the toe to pivot. So is the whole binding diff for skate and not just the bumpers?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

User avatar
Magnus Johansson
World Cup
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:56 am

JeffOYB wrote:So is the whole binding diff for skate and not just the bumpers?

Compare your R3 skate binding with your classic R4 binding to see if that is the case.

User avatar
fishskicanoe
xcskiforum 40K
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: Merrill, WI

Re: Fun w new skis!

Postby fishskicanoe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm

I thought R4's were NIS bindings.
Snow snow snow!


Return to “XC Ski Gear Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests